SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaytwotoo

Designing Living Room & Dining Room. Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall.

K 2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We've been in our cottage for 6 1/2 years. We did a quick update of the bathroom, changed the windows, exterior doors, siding, shingles, and have most of the landscaping finished.

As we move toward the cooler months, I'm starting to put together plans for updating the living room and dining room. Before creating the floor plans, I need the actual room dimensions.

My Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall. Initially, since we didn't like the fireplace, and we had always liked the look of built-in bookcases flanking the fireplace, my husband changed the entire wall. Over time, I've found that looking at books makes me think about dusting (an unpleasant thought). And, regardless of the mantle's décor, the focal point continues to be the books.

So, here are pictures of the current Fireplace Wall AND the Options that I'm considering. What say ye, 'Houzzers'?

********************************************************************************

Actual I. Changing the Fireplace Wall - 2006:

Actual II. Fireplace Wall Completed:

Actual III. Fireplace Wall Christmas 2011:

Actual IV. Fireplace Wall Christmas 2010 :

Option 1: Stay With The Books. The mantle décor is the problem. Suggestions for Mantle???

Living Room and Library · More Info

Option 2a. Example: Remove the Books, And Restyle the Shelves.

drummond · More Info

Option 2b. Example: Remove the Books, And Restyle the Shelves.

Medina · More Info

Option 2c. Example: Remove the Books, And Restyle the Shelves.

Dennis Bayview Cape · More Info

Option 4. Example: Remove the High Shelves & Rebuild With Medium Height Shelves.

Palmetto Bluff: Pellegrini · More Info

Option 5. Example: Completely Remove the Shelves & Cabinets to Open the Space.

Pacific Heights Family Home · More Info

Thank you!

Comments (1.2K)