SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katieleabrown86

What would look best in MY kitchen?

katieleabrown86
8 years ago

Sorry this is long, haven't figured out how to condense yet.

I've been trying to update my house to a more transitional style and turning my kitchen into a "white" kitchen is my last big dream for the house.

This is what it currently looks like. I'm keeping it real with the clutter:

Do you like that two toned thing going on? ;). I'm keeping the existing cabinets, but have started a few changes, namely adding thicker crown (hence the two-tone, the cabinets will eventually be white, although we had some teenage boys over the other day and apparently they really liked it that way), endcaps, trash pullouts, glass cabinets surrounding the plate rack, and adding cabinet doors to cover the book shelves on the island.

Because we are keeping the cabinetry, I am tied to the overall layout other than the changes I mentioned already. The only thing that really bugs me in the microwave. I bump it with my pans when I cook all the time and it's really not a very pretty focal point. I am unsure of where to move it though. The island doesn't have any space left, and the only other place i can think of is as a microwave drawer either to the right or left of the range.

But the cabinetry and drawers are the same all the way down that back wall and I can't quite imagine what it would look like to disrupt that symmetry with a microwave drawer and then what the corresponding cabinets would look like afterward.

The only other option I can think of is to just put one on the counter in this hidden corner where junk accumulates. But is that a "no no" to not have a built in one? It sure is a lot cheaper than a microwave drawer.

What do you think? is it worth it to move it and where? or would you just leave it where it is?

Last question. I always see gorgeous inspiration photos that I fall in love with and want to copy, but I'm not sure what will actually look best in MY kitchen with what I have.

The kitchen is fairly dark with those three weird tiny windows and then the only other light coming in from the breakfast nook and family room.

So my question is whether to go all white, or to do black perimeters for the counters.

I love this kitchen, but wonder if my floor is too dark and my lighting too bad to be able to pull off the black perimeter. I also have this dry bar and I'm not sure if it would be black like the perimeter or white like the island. The walls are all BM Revere Pewter.

This kitchen is similar in layout to mine although it has that nice window, and I still love the all white look as well.

No matter the countertop, the backsplash will either be some form of Calacatta marble (tile or slab or Neolith) or else white ceramic something.

I guess if I use the same countertop everywhere instead of changing the perimeter I could always paint the island or bar a different color, but if I mix countertops then all cabinetry will just stay white.

Any votes or opinions on microwave placement and countertop colors? Thanks for you patience and sorry for the bad pictures. They're just from my phone with the afternoon sun pouring in.

Comments (23)