SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

4th Annual Smoke Da Pig Countdown Ramblings

moosemac
8 years ago

As many of you know for the last four years I have hosted a weekend long event called Smoke Da Pig. We are on the countdown to the event D-Day minus 3 and counting. This will be our largest event yet with 60+ RSVP’s. As always my family has been amazing, pitching in to help. DD is picking up the pig on her way home from work today. I just confirmed with the butcher that the chicken wings and boneless chicken breasts (for the squeamish LOL) are ready for pick up. I’ve made the brine and dry rub for the pig, the Raspberry BBQ sauce, and the lime seasoning mix for the chicken wings, cheese is sliced and cryovac’d, sausage has been precooked but still need to be sliced, and jello shots are made. A couple weekends ago I baked 4 lbs of kidney beans and 4 lbs. of navy beans and froze them (Both Boston Baked Bean style with salt pork) which made 2 half steamer pans of each variety. Cousin is delivering Sugar Maple wood for the smoker today. MIL is making a big batch of potato salad, SIL ditto pasta salad, another cousin is making coleslaw and veggie dip and another is making a huge tossed salad and an appy. Friend is bringing corn from his garden. DD vacuumed the pool yesterday. DH & DS’s finished trimming out the new slider and window in the pool house and have been working on the lawns and yard for several weeks. They even found time to tear down the old barn, now if I can just get the excavator out of the yard before the party that would be great. If not, it will be a lawn ornament. LOL Wine & beer have been purchased. DS friends are bringing sweets as are another cousin and some of our friends. Pizza has been pre-ordered for delivery Friday night for the smoker crew. Fireworks are cancelled due to the dry weather; in fact we may even cancel the fire in the fire pit. First camping trailer arrived yesterday.

Things still pending:

Still need to do final lawn trimming, clean the pool house and tent gazebo and set up the second grill.

Shopping is almost done except for the fruit, muffins and juice for Saturday & Sunday breakfast and of course ice.

Oh butter, I need BUTTER for the corn on the cob!

Parking plan is in place; we will tape it off tonight otherwise it gets crazy. I need to make signage for this.

Volleyball/badminton court still needs to be setup as do the horseshoes, corn hole, and easy up canopies, tables & chairs.

Fill the propane tanks for the grills.

Things I need to let go of…

My house is a pit/disaster. I just don’t have the time to de-clutter and clean it. I usually lock the house and keep everything out at the pool house on Saturday but Friday & Sunday there will be folks in and out.

Weather is iffy; some forecasts indicate rain others not…oh well.

Drama...there's always one person who has an "issue" (not the same one every year but always one) and I can't control the situation so...LOL

I feel like I’ve forgotten something but I can’t put my finger on it. I have a feeling we will have closer to 80 people or so because some just show up without RSVP’ing.

I took Friday off to get the pig in the smoker. Lastly, I am very excited my cousin from Maryland is coming! He hasn’t been north since Oct. 2000 so I can’t wait!

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Have I forgotten anything???

Comments (14)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio