SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crab_dae

Switching from AC to heat pump - need help in sizing.

crab_dae
8 years ago

I currently have a 10yo 3.5 ton York AC unit, with a gas furnace. And because I'm having issues with the AC unit, I'm planning on going to a dual fuel setup with a heat pump with my existing gas furnace.

The house is a 2400sqft, not including the basement, and at the time of build, it was an EPA energy star certified home. The basement is not finished either....

The 3.5 ton AC unit has been able to keep the house cool, but it seems to run non-stop.. This is fine, since my cooling costs were low... It was lower than a 1200sqft townhome I was in. My issue has been the cost to heat. My furnace is Propane gas... Gas has been a killer in cost... So I'm hoping a dual fuel would help....

Based on my existing AC unit, 3.5 tons is fine .. It seems to run non-stop, but that pulls the moister out of the air... Still, it does drive me a bit nuts because the unit is outside my family room window.... It's real bad when it rains because I hear the rain drops pinging off the fan as it spins...

This unit is located on the North side of my home (I'm in in MD, just at the PA line), next to my drive way, so it gets little full sun. My plan is to move the new unit to the south side of my home, where it's full sun for most of the day..

With that said, would I be better off going with a 4TON compressor? I'm thinking 4T to help with heating, and being it's going to be in full sun, it's cooling capacity won't be as good during the summer... Plus, 4T might be better for when the basement is finished...

Maybe my thinking is all wrong and I should still stick with the 3.5T unit, since my plan is to use the gas furnace when temps drop below 35F..

What are your thoughts and why? Which would be a better setup for dollar savings?

Thanks All!!

Comments (17)