SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfitz73

help deciding between heat pump and a/c

jfitz73
13 years ago

My situation- I am currently in the process of looking to upgrade an old gas furnace with a new high efficient one and adding either a heat pump or a/c unit. I had a very helpful Lennox dealer give me some options and he seemed to be leaning towards the a/c unit but not heavily. With that being said I live in Western Washington about an hour north of Seattle and have a 1650 square foot home.

The furnace that was recommended was a G71mpp-36b-070 variable speed. $5100 installed. Also mentioned was the SLP98V for $900 more. ( i am pretty content with 1st option)

INCLUDED ARE:

One Honeywell, Pestige IAQ, Color Hi-Def Touchscreen --Programmable Thermostat.

One Lennox, 2.5 to 3 Ton R-410A Evaporator Coil with TXV Metering Valve, model CR33-30/36A-F

Fittings to Retrofit existing ductwork to new Furnace

The heat pump was the xp-14 $4900 installed

and the a/c unit was the xc-13 for $3500.

or xc-14 for $550 more.

NOTE:this is through costco so I would be getting a $1000 rebate card (roughly 10%) with xc-14 a/c or heat pump. A $900 rebate with xc13 a/c unit

We only need a/c maybe 6 weeks out of the year up here so I am slightly leaning towards the heat pump option due to overall operating costs coupled with the fact it would give me the option to use electric heat or the gas furnace if needed.

Now for the questions

Are these prices reasonable?

Should I go with heat pump or A/C? What are the deciding factors for those responding?

If going with a/c, is it worth upgrading to the xc-14 for the little amount of time it would be used?

Thanks in advance to any and all answers,help and comments.

Comments (11)