SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Help decide on new Heat Pump

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

I am looking to purchase a new heat pump soon. If my finances don't allow me I will have to wait until I receive my income taxes in 2010. I'll just have to tough it out with window units for cooling until then. Thus far I have paid with labor included $160 on a new thermostat and a fan switch. My heat pump unit is about 10 years old and after todays fees and parts it is still not cooling.

The tech who repaired it is a very good friend and very trustworthy. After repairing the above, we also needed some freon. He gave it a little, left for about an hour to go get the parts, and when he returned his gauge read zero on freon. He sprayed it down and we looked for bubbles but seen none, and heard no sound indicating a leak.

He is coming back on Wednesday to determine where the leak is, using some kind of leak finder I imagine. I tend to worry and always jump to conclusions (thus thinking about a new unit). He would not steer us wrong, and is only trying to save us money. We are a low income family who just cannot afford a new unit at this time. We don't have good credit, so we would have to pay cash for a new unit.

After looking at Sears.com I can find no prices on heat pumps. It just says call for in home consultation. I personally would like a brand new heat pump. You get the warranties and all that, and from what I have read they are more efficient than they were 10 years ago.

My current unit is a Kenmore. It has been nearly problem free for 10 years. Last year was the first year we ever had to have a boost of freon. Maybe during the warranty, when they came and serviced it they might have added some. Now this year, two boosts of freon, a fan switch, a capacitor and a new thermostat, and like I said, still not ready to cool. He's got to find that leak.

So, my first question is this, which brand do you recommend, Kenmore, Carrier, Trane or any other decent priced heat pump? I would like the absolute best, a name that is known and a unit that is reliable, and remember we're a low income family.

Second question - How much do heat pumps cost? I can't remember what we paid for this actual heat pump. When we got it we had no vents, duct work or anything like that. We even had to get a new breaker box. We had one of the older twist in type fuses.

Third question - Would it be cheaper to just purchase the heat pump from somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot and let my trusted friend install it? If so, how much would I actually be saving by doing that versus buying one from Sears and letting them install it?

No prices are listed on Sears.com. I need any and all information that you can give me. I am really struggling with what to do.

Fourth question - What can I be expecting to spend on Wednesday when he comes back to find the leak? I always help him do the work and he always knocks off half of what he charges anyone else. What expensive problems/parts could arise when finding that leak. What I mean is, where would the leak be that would end up costing me the most?

Last Questions - Which units are eligible for the tax credit? What other kinds of credits can I get? I read something about the power company offering credits. Do I just call them and ask about it?

What do i do in situations like this, with bad credit and no one wants to finance? As I am sure once I get into this I will be declined financing 10 times over. It sucks to be poor. Please someone advise me on what I should do. The only way I see me being able to afford this is when I receive my taxes in 2010 and paying cash :( It'll take the whole bit.

Please, Please help someone who knows nothing about this.

I hope someone can take the time to help me on deciding.

Comment (1)