SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dplpjp

need new A/C -switch to heat pump? - central Ohio

dplpjp
14 years ago

Love this site - your posters are always so helpful! I've read many pages here, can't find quite the answer I need so here goes.

House was built in 1994, only about 1500 sq.ft., still has original Trane a/c (#TTR018C100A1) and gas furnace (#UD080C924B). Made many repairs thus far - now another freon leak so we're replacing the air conditioner (furnace has had no issues). Question is - how much cost savings (if any) would be realized switching to a heat pump in Columbus Ohio? We've been quoted the following:

Weatherking 3ton #13AJA36A01

ADP evap coil 3 ton

composite pad, copper lineset, high and low voltage re-hook, condensate drain re-hook, modification of ductwork to accomodate new inner coil, disposal of old, labor and start-up. $2300

Rheem 13 SEER for $2733 (instead of Weatherking)

15 SEER HP for $3800; include a new 90% gas furnace for $5200 total

Didn't get model numbers yet of the last two as we were "getting an idea" over the phone. We've discussed the tax credit, etc., but we're trying to get a handle on the whole efficiency thing. Does the money you spend for higher SEER or a HP really get made up (or better) in the end? Will my electric bill go up with a HP (if so, by how much - by more than the gas bill will decrease?).

Thanks for any help - I know you can't have specific numbers for savings, but any thoughts would be helpful.

Comments (2)