SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
braverichard

General advice needed on newly tilled bed

So, I've started working on my beds around my pergola. I finally finished the pergola along with its concrete slab, time to make the beds around it for climbing roses and other companion plants.

My soil is hard, high clay content though mostly black but really lacking in organic matter and seemingly "dead" (not a worm in sight lol). I've tilled it up pretty good, down to a good 12-16 inches. Of course, now I have a huge mound of dirt from loosening up all that previously compacted dirt and I haven't even added compost and some peat moss as I plan to.

I'm concerned about the dirt settling much and having rose grafts exposed as I will plant some grafted roses there. I prepared other beds earlier in the spring the same way, ended up with a huge mound of dirt. Didn't concern me much because everything planted in those beds was own root.

So I'm seeking your opinions based on your own experiences... how much can I expect this to settle? I can water it well now to just cause some settling but since no one will even be walking on these beds I wonder if there is anything to even worry about?

See pic below... the mound below is 8" high and is on land that used to be flat before the tilling.

Comments (10)