SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alejandra_riguero

First Position Back Up / Shady Realtor

Alex R.
8 years ago

My husband and I put a bid on a house about two months ago. We put in an offer about 100K over asking, but the realtor asked us to waive the appraisal contingency - something we were not willing to do (the house was 100+ years old and while it was lovingly maintained, who knows what issues it might have?). We were in the final two and signed a back up offer in first position.

Our original bid said that we would have 17 days to close escrow, and would give the seller 45 days to move out. The seller appears to have gone with a slightly lower offer that waived the appraisal contingency. The kicker? The house hasn't closed yet, more than 45 days after we signed our initial offer. Our realtor checked back in with the seller's agent and he would not confirm that the house had closed, and got very nervous and evasive when my realtor asked if the first escrow fell through-which should be a simple yes or no answer. It seems that he might have either offered first position back up to numerous people (which is a breach of contract), or received a higher offer after we had signed our paperwork.

What recourse do we have here? I'm in a super tight market and I don't want to resort to leaving nasty reviews on Yelp.

Comments (12)