SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
horti2791

First 5:1:1 experience for this newbie - faster and bigger growth

horti2791
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

After several seasons of searching, was finally able to obtain bark that was close to acceptable to try out a fast-draining, bark-based container mix.

No surprise to GW Container Forum folk (especially not to the wonderful soil/water-theorists), found that under my local conditions, over the same time period, plants grew markedly faster and to a greater height and mass in 5:1:1 than in the commercial peat-perlite based mixes I had used previously. (5:1:1 on left)

As a garden-newbie I've always appreciated the detailed experiences shared here, but they're not for everyone - so if anyone is interested in the excruciating particulars, see below.

============

First, a warning that's probably obvious to the more experienced: always use something to protect drain holes. 5:1:1 went into several fixed, heavy composite, 1.5-2.5 gal pots, each draining through a single irregular ~ 1/4" hole at bottom-center passing into a flat base raised only about 1/10" over the cement underneath. At the first rain, half the pots clogged making an overflowing, floating plant and bark pond. Lesson: small flat bark chips can easily fit together to completely clog a small drain hole. (No problems after installing the usual inexpensive plastic-canvas/needlework-craft mesh.)

Second, a fun little experiment - under my local conditions, just for me - no claims of significance (maybe 10 pairs of plants would have approached some useful statistical confidence).

Cuttings taken from the same tropical milkweed plant were grown in a gritty mix (to facilitate clean transfer to other media). Eight which had achieved a similar height and leaf number were transferred to one-gallon nursery containers with either 5:1:1 (as per tapla) or a peat-perlite-based commercial mix (MG). The four pairs were placed in the same outdoor area and rotated daily in an effort to achieve the same average illumination. Fertigation - peat retained so much more moisture than the 5:1:1, had difficulty deciding the fairest way to irrigate the different media. Chose to use a combination of "second knuckle" depth below surface, and weight decrease from saturation, as consistently as I could.

After one month, plant height, and stem-diameter at 6" above medium, were measured. (Something like dry weight would probably have been a more fair measurement, but did not want to lose the plants.) 5:1:1 main growth was taller and thicker stemmed, on average by about 30% and 50% respectively, and each 5:1:1 had grown at least one more branch from near the base. A typical pair is shown in the above photo (5:1:1 left). When removed to up-pot, healthy looking roots were seen at the outside perimeter of both media (where better exposed to air?), but only the 5:1:1 had numerous roots growing throughout the interior of the mix.

Post-experiment - had run out of bark, so they were up-potted into large containers of standard media. Both continued to grow, but the originally-peat-media plants never achieved near the same height or stem-thickness.

Final impression is that the milkweed which had grown in 5:1:1, besides greater height and mass, also ultimately developed more flowers per plant and more seed pods. Also, The H. spectabile type "sedum" planted in the fixed containers mentioned in the "drainhole-warning" above, obviously grew taller and into a thicker clump than in all of many previous years (in standard media). A better draining and aerated medium made quite a difference in these sized containers under these conditions.

Comments (13)