SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilygreenie

Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.

emilygreenie
9 years ago

Hey all!

I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right now they are in 5 gal black nursery pots but I want to get them into a 5:1:1 mix in 13" plastic pots. I have a few questions about the make up of the mix that I am trying to make. I live in an 8b zone in St. George UT. We have very hot summers and mild winters, but the temps do get below freezing at night so the citrus will come indoors for those months. I am wondering if I should stick to the traditional 5:1:1 with lime, or if I should add in anything else to help with water retention since our summers are so hot? I have been everywhere in town looking for supplies all week, and have purchased almost everything I could find that could possibly go into my mix.

I have napa 8822, peat moss, coarse perlite, lime, osmocote, small pine bark nuggets, lava rock, pine bark mulch and pine bark soil conditioner. I am hoping to take back the unopened products that I don't use but would really like to get the soil mixed today and some of the plants in their new pot homes, so I thought it would be better to be over prepared and just bought everything I could think of.

I am wondering about the pine fines - So far I have opened two bags of material and sifted through them. The first bag is mountain magic premium grind bark mulch. It is made of Western fir and pine bark. The mix seems to be too big in general, with a lot of woody material. I am wondering if it is at all useable. Here is a picture after I ran it through a 1/2 inch grate and then screened out the tiny particles. I also attempted to pick out the woody material for a few hours, but as you can see, there is still a lot of it left.

The second product I have tried is Soil Pep, also by Mountain Magic. It is Western Fir and Pine Bark plus composted forest materials. I would say that it is half really small particles and half good bark. Almost no pieces that are too big, and not too much sapwood that I found. I am thinking it is probably the best option that I have. Here is a picture of it after I sifted out the tiny material.

Then here is a picture of the fine particles sifted out of the Soil Pep. I am wondering if you guys would sub this material in for all or part of the peat moss?

All of your help would be so greatly appreciated. I am so excited to repot my trees, and want to give them the best chance of survival. Would any of you add the napa DE to the mix (in place of the peat or anything else, or in addition to all of the original ingredients?) to help with water retention in our hot climate, or do you think it is un-needed?

Here is a picture of the planters I plan to use. Do you think the color is light enough not to get too hot or should I paint them white? There are 6 places to drill holes in the bottom of each one - should I make more holes than that? Do I need to add any holes on the sides of the pots? Thank you so much!

Emily

(so sorry this pic is upside down!)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES