SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atlantaterry80

photos: unknown eBay peppers from China

Terry Thomas
8 years ago

This year I thought I might like to grow some Bhut Jalokia peppers because the owner of a Jamaican restaurant in downtown Atlanta told me, "Hey mon, I will buy all you can grow. Mon."

So since I buy a lot of photography equipment from eBay vendors I thought I might get some Bhut pepper seeds from one. It turned out the seller is based in China. No problem, I buy lots of stuff direct from Chinese vendors.

I didn't start all of the seeds in the packet. I believe I tried to start 3 starter cups each with 1 or 2 seeds each. Only one sprouted. (Never a good sign.) Once it got going, I transferred it to a pair of 16 ounce beverage cups. The bottom one bottom holds the water for bottom feeding. The top cup has a hole melted into the bottom using a cheap US $1 Phillips screw driver reserved for just that purpose. I heat the tip over a kitchen stove burner and melt holes in dozens of cups at a time. I buy the cups from a Dollar Tree store. The water works it's way up from the bottom cup. (I learned this technique from a fellow on YouTube. I use this two cup technique now to start and grow all my seeds until they are ready for a larger container or the ground.)

OK, now the pepper plant is tall and happy in the 16 ounce cups and started to bear fruit.

What?? I think I was taken. As far as I know a Buht should be short, round-ish and about the size of two thumbs put next to each other. But that's not what is growing! What I have are green slim peppers that are growing straight up. Shouldn't Bhut's hang down?? Hmmm...

Well, here are a couple photos.

The pepper plant growing happily in a 16 ounce cup. (I really do need to move it to a larger container.) I put it on the back of my car shortly after I watered it on a hot day so some of the leaves look a bit sad but they perked up later.

Some close-ups of the unknown peppers:

Might anyone out there have an idea what the Chinese folks sent me?

And since the peppers are an unknown variety, how am I supposed to know when they are ripe for picking?

Thank you.

Terry Thomas
Brookhaven Gardens
Brookhaven (Atlanta), Georgia

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!