SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

No experience with cleaning copper finish...need suggestions!

rantontoo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My parents have a 1960 ranch with copper and chrome finishes through-out; and I need help tackling the decades long build-up on the copper wall cladding behind the range. I have tried a heavy Dawn-water mixture with very little success.

I am not sure what to try next and am leary of trying internet-researched cleaning suggestions after my shelac error. An Internet search on how to clean shelaced cabinets led to my damaging a stained spot on a drawer....do NOT use Shout on shelac!!! I am just not well versed in cleaning some of these older finishes. Mom is not much help due to dementia; Dad has tried his best, but the place needs a top-to-bottom paint and clean EVERYTHING because of prior wood burning furnace, age, and dust. Dad and Mom are finally willing to let me clean...even though Dad says to others that I go overboard!

I trust the help on this forum...I do not want to damage the copper sheet, but that yucky build-up has to go! They also have a vintage working 1950s/1960s range; there is so much gunk under the burners that I feel the stove is a fire hazard. I despair of getting that area of the stove clean. I am ready to just buy a new one...Dad is NOT on board with that. Ideas?

I love their door knobs and original copper light fixtures...oh to have the original retractable copper dinette light instead of the 80s overpowering gold light/ceiling fan combo! As my brothers Clean, organize, and declutter the basement, I stressed finding any original fixtures...no luck yet.

Comments (2)