SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judydel

Vegetable Soup

Judy
8 years ago

Hello All,

My family has been enjoying the minestrone type veggie soups that I've been making with all of the garden veggies this summer (good way to use up those yellow squash and zucchini). I've put up plenty of jars of tomato juice, relishes, jams, etc over the years. But I've never done vegetable soups. I'm pretty pumped up to realize I can do this safely in my pressure canner. I read the NCHFP guidelines and several threads on here. I just want to see what you fellow canners think about what I'm plotting.

I don't use any oil. First I make my own veggie broth by boiling up onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Afterwards I strain.

To the veggie broth I add my canned tomato juice (2/3 broth to 1/3 tomato juice). And then I add cut up zucchini, yellow squash, cabbage, kale, carrots, onions, garlic, celery, sage, basil, oregano.

In order to follow the 1/2 veggies and 1/2 liquid guideline, should I use a measuring cup to measure out the cut up veggies before adding them to the measured liquid? Or should I do this by weight instead of volume? I'm a bit confused as to how to accomplish this.

I assume I shouldn't really cook the soup much before processing, since it will be pressure canned for 75 minutes. Otherwise, the veggies may get way too cooked down?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, and your input is most welcomed!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting