SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shedthechrysalis

I'm almost scared to ask, but what's wrong with my maple? Help please

shedthechrysalis
8 years ago

Hi fellow maple lovers! I went a little over board this year and planted 3 Japanese maples in the middle of our lawn. One is doing very well with no issues (knock on wood), one is a little crunchy because it gets more sun that the others, but this one I have no idea what's going on. I bought this lovely tree in May and we planted it the first week of June. Yes, I know it wasn't the ideal time to plant it but it came in a 36 inch box and the only location that could accommodate the tree was right beside the house where the sun beats on the wall all day long, where the leaves were staring to get a tad crispy already. Anyhow, we dug the hole and had to rent a pallet jack to get the tree to the hole. When we took the side off of the box, we saw that originally, the tree had been balled and burlapped. How many years ago, I have no idea. The roots had grown out of the burlap and were in fact starting to circle in the box. Luckily, my father in law, who runs a huge orchard, was helping us with the tree and was able to trim the circling roots. About 1/4 of the roots were removed, but it was still left with quite a significant amount of roots. The tree is planted an inch or so higher than the surrounding ground and the soil is not amended per advice I received here. Our native soil is nasty clay, but the top 2 feet or so is a fill dirt because this area used to be farm land about 20 years ago. The tree gets watered by the sprinklers. and gets supplemental water with the hose if the dirt feels dry, which isn't often. The soil always feels moist - not wet. The tree gets sun until about 2, and then our large oak shades it until about 5 when low dappled sunlight hits it.

Up until the 2nd week of July, the tree looked great. Crunchy leaves started appearing on top, and then I noticed that some of the other leaves weren't crunchy at the tips, but almost looked like they were getting crunchy from the inside out, if that makes sense. There was a day that I rinsed off the tree with the shower setting on the hose because my neighbor got clumps of mud all over our fence and the tree from his rototilling. I thought maybe the leaves got wet and the sun hit it and burned them, but this problem is just getting worse.

Oh - I'm in zone 9 - California. This area has had a few days over 100, but mostly just mid to upper 90's this summer. The area I'm in does get a bit of wind from the Delta breeze.

If you've read this far, thank-you! I'd really hate to lose this tree. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks for your help!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor