SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sableincal

Questions about Staph/MRSA

sableincal
8 years ago

Am posting this hoping that if someone here has experience with the staphylococcus aureus infection, also known as mrsa, they will respond with suggestions as to how to manage this malady. What is often said is true: Once you have it, you have it.

I was first diagnosed last May, when I went to my internist with an unappealing bunch of absesses, one of which had to be lanced and packed, and all that goes with that. The doc put me on two scrips of antibiotics, one after the other, as I developed a persistent rash; when I finished the meds he hit me with an 8-day burst of prednisone, which cleared up any rash issues. The absesses healed and disappeared. Yay. However, this past Monday I found another small lump under my arm, called the doc, he's on vacation until September, so went to the ER. After hearing my story they put me on two antibiotics at the same time. So far so good, although side effects can take awhile to appear, but I am not too worried about that.

My internist gave me excellent treatment. I had to see him every day, then every other day to have the lanced lump unpacked and repacked. He even came in to his office on a Sunday in order to maintain the schedule.

My only problem as to how I feel is that I am exhausted, as I was during the first bout, and mostly read and sleep. My doc said that especially for someone my age ( a grandma, and not a young one!) that's normal.

Some questions:

Did you or the person you know with mrsa eat anything special? I am eating plain Greek yogurt every day (which I like and have anyway) as a probiotic. DIL says take probiotics. But all the probiotics I've found seem to be for bowel issues, which I definitely do not have. Will not give up coffee or chocolate, nor eat pork. All else is negotiable!

Did you tell people that you have this? I have only told DH, obviously, and my children, and a couple of friends online. Am worried about telling friends we see. I don't go out when the bacteria is "active", but what if people don't want to get together any time? Is this a silly thought?

Did you do anything in particular regarding cleanliness? Am using an antiseptic soap, per doctor's orders. Antiseptic, not antibacterial. Launder my linens in hot water, and DH uses the second bathroom anyway, with his own towels.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone experienced with this bothersome germ has.

Thanks!

Sable

Comments (16)