SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redcoatd

Please advise! Redoing lawn!

Redcoat Dave
8 years ago

Hi,

Would really appreciate some advice on how best to proceed with my lawn.

We built a house about 18 months ago here outside of Raleigh, NC, on a plot which is about 0.28 acres - I think we have around 7500 sq ft of lawn. The bare ground was scraped and was pretty solid clay. The builder laid bermuda sod at the front (it's triangular in shape, with a point being the front) and claimed he'd seeded the back with bermuda too. Turns out the contractor only put out annual rye!

After we moved in, they dug out a wooded area right behind us (mainly pine trees) to build a dry retention pond, and when they did they offered to put some of the soil on our plot to level everything out, which they did.

My wife really wants fescue, so I bought some special chemical and killed the bermuda at the front. After they'd graded things, I brought in a guy with a tractor and tiller, added lime indicated by soil test, and had him till everything to 6 inches.

I then put in an irrigation system (it gets very hot down here!) and sowed everything, but all of that took me much longer than I'd hoped and didn't get it sowed until November.

Grass grew great, looked really good over the winter/spring, but has struggled this summer a lot. Also, the irrigation trenches settled and I had someone fill them all with top soil. Unfortunately that took until the summer so it was too hot to reseed. Those areas have now grown a lot of weeds.

A big mistake I believe I made was I sowed with Kentucky 31, which hasn't done at all well in the heat.

So, I am trying to figure out what to do!!

I am tempted to kill everything with roundup, and reseed with a fescue blend which is heat tolerant (I get pretty much full sun). If I do this, I have several questions on how best to do that:

1) I was going to have a guy come back and till everything again. However, I've read on here as I've been researching that tilling is not recommended as it takes up to 3 years to settle. Is that just not recommended for a rototiller? Am I best not even tilling with a tractor setup? Another guy on craigslist has a tractor with a disk tiller that I believe just pulverizes the surface - is that ok?

2) Do I need to get rid of the dead grass?

3) how smooth does everything need to be to reseed?

The other option is to spray roundup along the irrigation trenches to call the weeds, along with spot treating other areas, and then overseed with the blend. Will the blend take over what K31 survived the summer? If I go down this path, I've read I can take a dethatcher/power rake set the blades as deep as possible, and run it over the yard in several directions. Then mow at the lowest setting, bagging the clippings, and then reseed. Is that a good idea? How much will that pulverize the soil?

I'm planning to do a soil test done in the next week so I can assess what enrichment is needed.

All advice greatly received!!!

cheers!

David

Comments (71)