SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Experience with scoliosis?

Sueb20
8 years ago

Last spring when my 14 yo DD had her annual physical, her dr. sort of casually mentioned a slight issue with her back, and said we should keep an eye on it for possible scoliosis. She had her bend over and showed me how one side looked higher than the other (hard to explain). DD is a competitive gymnast and is very muscular (but small), so the dr. said it might just be muscle, and she'd make a note to keep an eye on it. So, I basically forgot all about it. Yesterday DD saw my massage therapist (who is very good, I know her well) for some gymnastics-related aches she's been having, and the MT came out to me after and said, "I think you should have her screened for scoliosis." We didn't get a chance to talk in depth, but I was a little alarmed. So, I have called the dr this morning and someone is supposed to call me back.

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but does anyone here have experience with teenage girls and scoliosis? Obviously it's not getting in her way or slowing her down. She does gymnastics 24 hours a week and doesn't have anything but the sort of aches and pains you'd expect. Just curious what your experience might be, and also -- how was it diagnosed? I assume our pediatrician will take another look herself and maybe do an x-ray?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer