SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkmfl

Laying Tongue & Groove Hardwood Decking (or Siding) as Interior Floor

rkmfl
8 years ago

The attached photo is tongue & groove with 1/8" reveal (species not known, likely an exotic hardwood like Garapa or Cumaru). It's installed as an interior floor, which is odd because the product appears to be a decking or siding product.

I'm wondering if any of the hardwood installers / experts out there are familiar with this sort of install?

I'm imagining there could be a large number of potential issues and normally wouldn't even try this if I hadn't witnessed this install fist-hand, which has been in a commercial location for 4+ years without any issues from what I've been told (by staff, although it may be they're simply not aware of maintenance that was done at some point).

I've also taken photos of the floor from 4 years ago, and again this last week, and the grain matches, suggesting that it hasn't been re-laid, although it could have been refinished.

Despite that, I can't help but worry that decking/siding can't work for an interior floor, or I'd have found something about this after Googling. I spent well over an hour looking for others who have done similar things and haven't turned anything up.

My guess is that this is finished with a simple hardwood oil/UV protestant because it's completely flat (no sheen whatsoever).

This floor will be going on a 4" poured concrete slab (as level as they come, but not perfect as with any concrete pour), 2nd floor of house, largest contiguous span of wood will be about 18', South Florida (West Palm, Zone 10 - AC year-round and somewhat consistent humidity).

Any suggestions on extra precautions I would have to take, whether I'd request to have it installed nailed/glued/floated, the type of finish you'd apply and how often it would need to be re-applied?

Also, if you're an installer willing to work in the West Palm area and you'd like to give me a quote on the install itself, that's great too!

Thank you in advance!

RKM

Comments (6)