SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paully1

My rant on grocery store fruit! Why are the cultivars not shown?

paully1
8 years ago

Why are fruit cultivars not always shown on grocery store fruit? I don't really expect an answer here, but my wife came home from the store with some fantastic tasting Apriums last week. The week before, I found two varieties of Pluot. One was terrible, and one was delicious. I would like to purchase plants and grow some of the really good ones, but unfortunately, the stores never seem to identify the cultivar, except for apples and pears. So many fruits are not identified by the cultivar. Strawberries are just strawberries. Blueberries are just blueberries. I know that some are better tasting than others, but when I buy a pack of strawberries that taste amazing, I have no idea what to look for the next time, because it is still just "strawberries!" Asian pears? You might find brown, or yellow or Yali, but there are dozens of good varieties. I like Honeycrisp and Mutsu apples. Those I can find by name, easy peasy. If I want plums, I only get the amazingly descriptive: yellow, black or red. So vague!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting