SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Rant: The wrong plant again

12 years ago

Hi all,

Why can't growers get it right? It's their business, for cryin' out loud. If I had an error rate this high I'd be out of a job.

I'm beginning to suspect it is deliberate, that somewhere an employee at Bonnie Plants is cackling with glee that I have waited all year for Soo Yoo cucumbers only to get nasty little pickling cucumbers YET AGAIN. How can you make a mistake like that? You can't. It's not possible. Someone put pickling cucumber seeds in the peat pot labeled Soo Yoos for the second year running.

The same goes for the lilies I have purchased from three different growers for the past three years. They grow these things in huge monocultured fields- I have seen the photos. So why are my Orange Electric lilies red? Why are my mother's lilium rubrum species lilies Orienpets in the rust and cream range? Why are my white Navonas yellow?

I now understand why the bagged Home Depot and Lowes irises are not what is on the label- the big growers sell their culled and rejected hybrids to the big box stores, which slap random names on the labels to fool the consumer into purchasing them. That mystery solved, and shame on all involved.

But I'm still stumped about the cukes. Is there really money to be made by using pickling cucumbers and labeling them as Soo Yoos? And the lilies- Orienpets are expensive. Someone lost money on that one.

I'd better not get going on the Gleditsia aurea that doesn't aurate.

If it didn't take a whole year to figure out the "mistake" I wouldn't be so cranky. But by the time something blooms or fruits, it's too late to fix it. And the same will happen next year.

Okay. I feel better now. Thank you for your time.

Renee

Comments (25)