SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chichu06

Another Yellow leaf lemon question w/ many Pics - Need help!

christopher chu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I made sure to read through the forums before posting this. I still have a lot of questions and not sure if the things I am seeing are all related.

I bought a house last year and have no idea how to care for this lemon tree. I bought fertilizer (slow release granules) and dug a few holes around the drip line poured some in and watered that spot.

The leaves are slightly yellow - pale green, depends on the leaf. They curl inward (this is more recent)

and have yellow veins. I also "feel" that the lemon fruits (babies about the size of my thumb) aren't growing (not sure the technical term for this) or changing in size the past 3 weeks. I think the leaves have always been a little pale looking which prompted me to buy fertilizer.

It has been hot the past week in the upper 90's to 100. I live in Sacramento CA if anyone is near by and can comment on what their plant looks like. The trees are 6-8 feet tall, I have no idea on the age.

Based on my research it could be my watering or low nitrogen? Lack of nutrition? I don't know if I under water or over water and if heat stress is a factor. Not sure I can describe the dirt its in..

Additional information/ question.

There is black tree bark over the lemon trees and a black plastic (like a thick garbage bag) to prevent weeds from growing. I couldn't find any information on it, but I am guessing this isn't good for lemon trees? I dug a hole and poured fertilizer by the left of the picture and left a small stake there.

Here is last seasons lemons and this seasons

I am imagine the lemons will be ripe in Nov?

I use to water right next to the trunk, but for the past few weeks, I've been watering near the fertilizer holes in which moved the mulch and dug through the plastic (weed barrier).

There are also random blemishes and holes in leaves here and there, but I don't think its too concerning? Don't see any caterpillars (they usually attacked my tomatoes and melons, nor does it look like their doing)

Thank you for your feedback.

Comments (7)