SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vancouver_greenthumb

Citrus beginner in need of some help w/ yellowing leaves

Myles Allan
6 years ago

I'm new to citrus trees. Last month I repotted a lemon tree, and it was doing well up until a week or so ago. Some of the leaves are yellowing, and fragile. I've given the tree citrus and avocado fertilizer, it's planted in well draining soil, and it gets sunshine nearly all day.

Based on a few web searches, my best guess is the tree got over watered. I'm hoping someone with more experience can either confirm that is what happened, or let me know what the issue is.

Advice on the best way to bring it back to full health and prevent it from happening again would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.s. for anyone curious about the sticks in the photo, my patio is high up, and it can get a bit breezy. The sticks are just for reinforcement until the roots are more established. There is plenty of space between the zap strap and the trunk, so water doesn't collect on the trunk and cause rot.

Comments (36)

• johnmerr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Transplant shock, possibly aggravated by moving to a new light condition??? It should recover soon enough; but those yellowing leaves will probably fall.

Myles Allan thanked johnmerr
  • Silica
    6 years ago

How old is the tree? They just look like old leaves. Especially as they are at the very bottom of the tree.

Myles Allan thanked Silica
  • Related Discussions

Need experts to help with Yellow Leaves (pics attached)

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Everyone, Sorry for disappearing for a week! My computer got virus and I ended up formatting my hard drive and had to re-install everything. My computer is just alive this afternoon after all hard work. Thank you everyone for your input. Talking about my citrus trees, 2 of them got worse. I will re-pot them. I just learned from this site about gritty mix (Al's mix; 1 bark: 1 turface: 1 granite). The only thing that I got so far was orchid fine barks. I went to many places this evening and I still couldn't get turface and granite. Somebody mentioned about "Ewing irrigation" carries turface. I will try to get them tomorrow. Johnmerr: I didn't grow anything else in the citrus pot. From time to time, there are some weeds in the pot. I pulled them out but still have tough roots in there. I don't know how to permanently get rid of weed. And you are right, I have to put fertilizer more than 3-4 times/ year. The instructions for chicken manure said " apply monthly from Jan-Aug" Tim: when you mentioned "Foliage Pro", Do you mean "Dyna-Gro, Foliage Pro 9-3-6"? I am going to order one online. I have a few questions here: ** If I re-pot them, can I still use their old pots. The pots are still in good condition (16 inch plastic pots). I will clean them thoroughly. Can I clean the pots with soap dish? ** Can I still use chicken manure for fertilizer in gritty mix if I also use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro? ** Do I have to cut some roots? I hope to re-pot them by this weekend. Hopefully, I can get turface+ granite soon. Thank you again everyone. I will post my pics of my trees again. They look bad now. I am so worried. Have a good night, talk soon JOJO
    ...See More

Beginner's help for an unidentified citrus tree

Q

Comments (2)
    Stacy, Is there any way you can take a picture of the tree and post it here? Also, this may be the only place you have to come for help if we all brain storm together.lol You could also google "citrus care" and even call an orange grove grower as I have... Welcome.
    ...See More

Droopy Lime w/ pic and some other citrus updates

Q

Comments (4)
    Pull it out of the pot. I will bet you will find very soggy roots. Re-pot with appropriate potting medium. If the tangelo is in a pot (and will be brought inside), it won't hurt doing another fertilizer application, just be sure your fertilizer has micros. You can also try applying some chelated iron, if you think what you're seeing is iron deficiency. Patty S.
    ...See More

Help needed w/ sick magnolia (yellow leaves)

Q

Comments (24)
    I am sick! I'm losing several beautiful Bracken's Brown Beauties. NOT yellow leaves, we're talking dark brown and drooping leave. Trees are near easement. Either the county (which is always so very helpful!!!!:( :( :( when it comes to killing plants, sprayed a strong herbiside on the easement to knock down tall weeds, or Scott's lawn service killed them with herbiside. Magnolias along border of easement. I'm betting it was county!!! Past experience. I planted Carolina jasmine to help control erosion and create beauty on the culvert, put out 75 plants. Lot of work, no small expense. Some fool from the county hit it with kill-all herbicide. Yes, high grass should have been mowed. But I can't do it because the sides of the ditch / easement are so steep and difficult to mow. I've almost turned the lawn mower over on myself several times trying to mow it. My husband doesn't have any problem mowing it, but absolutely won't get around to doing it! Hence the county herbicide spraying. And now killing I don't know how many of my beautiful magnolias. I'm real angry. Having a terrible day. Really. I loved /babies all those trees! Nothing but a crime to kill them!
    ...See More
  • Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I believe the tree was 3 years old when we got it from the nursery. I repotted it within a week, and that would have been mid-June I think.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Is the saucer attached to the pot? Those pots don't have the right amount of holes for the water to drain out, there is always water standing at the very bottom of the pot. It is overwatered.

Myles Allan thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Sunshine, That was my initial concern. I knew the pot is glazed, with only one drain hole so before repotting I added 3" or so of gravel and styrofoam, covered it with mesh screen, then repotted it with cactus soil, some steer manure, a bit of epsom salt, and citrus & avocado fertilizer. When I was concerned about over watering I gently loosened the soil with a hand cultivator, and mixed in some oven dried cactus soil and perlite.

@Silica, thank you for the response and peace of mind. I'll keep pampering it and hope for the best.

I picked up a grow light that I'm hoping will help it out.

• Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh! and I have it raised on castors, with nothing covering the hole. When I water I put something under it to collect any water, then remove it to let air flow

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

I think it will be fine. Make sure to not let it dry out too long. It's a new mix that should be hard to over water in for now like Silica said and probably dropping older leaves or just going through an adjustment as John said. It was the perfect time of year to re pot, so hopefully it will be just fine.

Did you remove all the older mix or just up pot? Why did you re pot? Is the mix different from that of the root ball? Just curious)

Why organic fertilizer if that is what it is? Why Epsom salts? Why not a good water soluble fertilizer with all the nutrients your tree need to help prevent future deficiencies?

Mike

Myles Allan thanked myermike_1micha
  • Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Firstly, I'd like to thank John. I didn't notice you had replied before Silica. After some online reading it seems exactly like transplant shock.

Mike,

I repotted the tree, because I moved it from the small, black, plastic pot it came in, to the pot we are hoping to keep it in for a few years. The nursery I went to before repotting it didn't have citrus fertilizer. The employee recommended steer manure and sea kelp fertilizer. I added 3-4" of styrofoam and gravel to the pot, then a piece of mesh screen. I added cactus soil and about a cup of steer manure. I put the root ball mostly undisturbed, with the original nursery soil, into the new pot. Then I filled the gaps with more cactus soil and another half cup of steer manure.

About a week or so later I went to a different nursery and bought Lilly Miller citrus & avocado fertilizer. I can't recall if it's organic, it's the only kind the nursery had.

I included Epsom salts in the care of the tree, because they provide magnesium to plants that are heavy feeders. In hindsight, I probably started using them prematurely. When I got the fertilizer, I poured 3/4 of a cup evenly around the tree then watered it in. I could be wrong, but I wonder if I watered the fertilizer too much, which flushed it deeper than the roots.

After the tree started experiencing leaf drop, I gently used a 3 prong hand cultivator to aerate the soil, and mix a combination of perlite and oven dried cactus soil, around the root ball. Again, in hindsight, that was probably a mistake. Had I realized the tree was experiencing transplant shock, I wouldn't have disturbed the roots. Hopefully I was gentle enough to increase oxygen flow, and assist the roots in adjusting to the new soil without making the transplant shock worse.

The tree is still outside on our balcony. We are in a high rise in Vancouver, BC. The tree is getting plenty of sunshine, but does anyone think it would be best to start acclimating the tree indoors to shield it from wind, and nighttime temperature drop? At least until it has recovered fully from the shock? I can shine a grow bulb on it to ensure it doesn't miss out on the summer sun.

Apologies for the long winded reply. I hope I've answered any questions, and provided enough details for someone experienced to recognize what I did wrong, and recommend the best thing(s) for the tree going forward.

- Myles

• O J
    6 years ago

Looking at the pictures I fully agree wituh silica that the leaves of concern are just old leaves that have lived out their usefull life and will be soon removed by the tree.

Myles Allan thanked O J
  • Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey OJ,

Thanks for your input. I was hopeful that was the case, however not just the larger older leaves were yellowing. Some of the new growth yellowed and fell off too. I'm almost certain it is transplant shock. I think my concern of over watering may have dried out the roots near the top of the soil. Some of them were exposed to direct sunlight for a number of hours, which wouldn't have helped. I picked up some root booster today. I may have lost a fruiting year, however the tree is still alive and I'm optimistic I'll be able to nurse it back to full health

• Silica
    6 years ago

Some roots showing on top of the soil line is certainly not a problem at all.

• Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a relief! There is a section of roots that grows up higher than the bottom of the tree stem/trunk. I didn't want any moisture to cause trunk rot, but i also didn't want the roots to dry out, so there is one lump a little higher than the rest of the soil around the base of the tree. Everything I've read about transplant shock says not to let the roots dry out. Wouldn't they dry out in the hot sun all day?

I was under the impression I had overwatered it, so I wanted the soil to dry out, and I think that contributed to the shock.

• Silica
    6 years ago

"Everything I've read about transplant shock says not to let the roots dry out."

The above sentence that you red has nothing to do about any roots above the soil line of a planted tree. It has to do with the trees entire root structure that is out in the open air when taken out of a pervious container and before being placed in either the ground or a larger container. Be careful not to read your tree to death.

6 years ago

Silica, have mercy on us, novices :))

We first read them to death, then we love them to death, after some are dead and some not so dead, we settle down, learn from the mistakes and discover, that quite a few years are lost in the process :)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Sunshine, well said.

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

Sunshine that is an awesome comment. Love it :) Sometimes I think I'm still in the reading to death. certainly have lost some years though neglect (health reason) but all get better with maybe one or two hick ups but correctable because learned to read ;)

6 years ago

Thank you Susanne, I fall sometimes in to poetic mood ;)) Looking at your trees, I think you have already passed the " reading to death" and "loving to death" stages :))

6 years ago

Sunshine I wish. But nope, still reading them every day, sometimes twice a day. I even talk to them. And believe it or not, sometimes I can hear them answering.

6 years ago

I talk to my plants also :)) I think they feel my presence. In the morning I greet them as I do greet my kids :))

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

I talk to mine also but they do not answer me. Not yet, anyway.

• Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Quick update! Last time I mentioned I picked up some root booster. A week later the tree is looking much better. The tree stopped dropping leaves, and all of the remaining leaves have returned to a deep green colour. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

6 years ago

Happy for you, Myles :)) Keep it up!

• Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! Though it seems I may have spoke too soon. Some of the remaining leaves were blown off, by the breeze, before I had a chance to bring it inside. A few of them have also curled.

Question: If the tree loses all or most of its leaves, is it possible to revive it? The tree is still green below the bark.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

I believe it's possible! An example would be cuttings that start out with no roots and almost no leaves. Yet they can still successfully regrow if cared for in ideal conditions and then become trees. The Meyer lemon I purchased was grown from a cutting instead of a graft.

It may help to write a list of the conditions required for healthy growth and put your tree into that ideal condition. Then list the factors that may negatively affect those conditions and the tree with it. Last would be keeping a handy list of solutions that might remedy/reverse what caused the growing conditions to become bad in the first place. There's a lot that come into play and listing them out could be helpful to narrow things down. But definitely don't make any drastic changes until you know for sure you've eliminated all other possible reasons!

Myles Allan thanked Home
  • PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

It would also help to do a bit of research on the soil needs of citrus and recommended planting methods. You added quite a lot of steer manure to the cactus soil but was the steer manure fully composted? Sometimes manure is still in the process of composting and using too much of it can actually hurt the plant instead of helping it because it will tie up nutrients as it is still composting.

What was the soil of the root ball like? Was it a soil good for citrus? (I.e. Loose, fluffy, draining). It's possible the water is being held in the rootball soil longer than it needs to be or that water isn't penetrating the rootball soil at all. Cactus soil is great for aerating roots but only if it's mixed well into the existing root ball throughout the entire container.

Citrus are sensitive to wind and its usually advised to protect them from wind because their leaves will lose a lot of their moisture and curl. But it depends on the way it's curling, upwards? Downwards? I think posting some more photos or detailed descriptions of the tree's condition will help people narrow it down a bit better.

Your tree was probably dropping leaves initially to redirect food reserves and energy into establishing its roots into the new pot/soil mix. That's probably why the root booster worked but if it dropped the remaining leaves due to the breeze being on a high patio, you might actually have an under watering problem! Lol breezy high patio combined with very well draining cactus soil, your tree may be losing too much moisture from both the root zone bc of the soil and from the leaves (wind). Your leaves would try to replenish moisture by bringing

up water from the roots but if the soil drains very well and doesn't hold much moisture then it won't be able to keep its leaves plump and functioning. Keep it protected from wind as much as possible while getting full sunlight as see if that changes anything! Maybe even bring it indoors near the sunniest window and supplement with extra light. This may help you notice if your tree was drying out too fast being outside.

I'm by no means an expert and you don't have to do anything I've brainstormed either! I just wanted to share my perspective on what the problem might be. Which could be completely wrong for all I know. Good luck with your tree!

Myles Allan thanked Home
  • Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm embarrassed to post photos of the current state of the tree. Let's just say it has one leaf left, but it's definitely a dead leaf. Most of the tree itself is still very green though. The leaves curled upwards. I was certain transplant shock was the cause of the issues, but upon further reading I believe the fertilizer actually caused the tree to drop leaves. It's a granular fertilizer. Not only did I put it on after only a couple weeks of being repotted, but I gave it more fertilizer after only a month. The root booster probably worked initially, but the added fertilizers in the root booster must have caused it to get worse.

The steer manure was composted. The root ball was not root bound, however I do believe the cactus soil is too compacted right now. Two days ago I flushed the soil with water to eliminate fertilizers. I'm going to repot the tree in a terra cotta pot, with oven dried cactus soil mixed with perlite and vermiculite. I'll avoid packing the soil.

Since I've now lost the first year of this tree, I've also planted seeds to grow new trees. I know they might not produce fruit, but at this rate it doesn't hurt to try.

6 years ago

Myles, my trees are up on the 11 floor balcony all this season, yes windy location, but they lost only the 2 year or more old leaves ( well, one of the trees). Do NOT put manure in your containers with soil, soak manure overnight, then give the plant only the "composted manure tea". I do that with sheep manure for my plants. You have the wrong container housing your tree, get a plastic container with LOTS of holes, the size of the container should be the right proportion to the rootball of your tree. Use a container that your tree will be happy living in, not a container that matches with your decor. Here is picture of one of my container that is a kids' sandbox pail but it is larger size, I made lots of holes in the bottom, potted my citrus tree and it is very happily growing there. I used that pail because it was deep so the roots could grow more.

Can you post the picture of your whole tree with the container?

If you decide to repot the tree with new soil and pot, take pictures of the rootball and post them so we can see. Once repotted, keep it away from wind, in partial sun and remember to not fertilize the tree in the new soil. You don't have to be embarrassed that the tree is not doing ok, we are here to help. I have lost many plants when I was just starting, all of us did in the beginning. I am writing this because I don't want you to give up.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

I'm glad you found out the kinks in the routine you started with Myles. I didn't even remember posting here lol! I've learned a lot reading the information on this forum and from the very knowledgeable growers here. Sunshine gives great advice! I think your tree will bounce back after you repot if the branches and roots still look healthy. It'll probably go dormant when it becomes winter since you won't have too many leaves so putting it under some CFL or grow lights for the winter months may be a good idea to give it a head start for next spring

Myles Allan thanked Home
    6 years ago

Kvetch, I give people advice here only from my own experience, not claiming that I am an expert. The other thing that people are mislead is, when they are told to put rocks, brick bits, styrofoam or other things for "drainage" in the bottom of their containers. I do none of that, just plain soil, sometimes I mix my soil with some long range fertilizer ( if I think my soil doesn't have nutrients in it) and l add worm castings some time. I cannot give advice to people who grow citrus in the ground, I do not have that experience. I have the knowledge of growing trees in the ground, but it's the experience that counts for me. Hopefully, Myles will not give up on growing things or get discouraged, it is the dream of enjoying citrus fruit one day from our own trees pushes us to buy and nurture them. Don't give up on the dreams that can be a reality! Personally, raising trees and plants ( and kids) teaches me to be patient, tolerant, caring and whole other good human qualities and for the last one year I get to share my knowledge and gain knowledge on this forum with my citrus friends:))

6 years ago

Here is the Friendship tree in the container mentioned above just after repotting in mid June this year:

Here is the same tree this month:

6 years ago

That looks beautiful

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Full of new lush growth! I agree sunshine with gardening and sharing the experiences we've had while doing it. We all live in different environments and also have different lifestyles that will most definitely affect the tree's growth. Taking that into account, I think everyone's experience is a valuable perspective to hear from. His trees may not grow in the same way or pace but seeing everyone's growth on this forum will give him a great idea of what to look forward to and the journey it takes to get there! If not for everyone sharing with each other then I too would be so much more blind to the signs I should watch out for to make sure the tree is happy and healthy. As a fellow newbie citrus grower, I'm grateful that you and the others on this forum are kind and open enough to share with us the journey you've had with your trees. Makes it more worth it knowing I can have the same if I'm patient and attentive enough with my tree and the future trees waiting for me to cash them out of their nurseries

Myles Allan thanked Home
  • Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey Everyone!

Thanks so much for all of your advice, and input. Apologies for my lack of activity recently.

Shortly after I realized the fertilizer is what was killing the tree, I repotted it back to the container it came in, with fresh soil. I continued providing love (grow light, root booster, etc) for a couple more weeks until the entire fre tree was brown.

Determined to have a lemon tree, I started 10 seedlings from an organic lemon.

A couple weeks later I was at the nursery, and I mentioned my situation to an employee. She said I can bring the tree in and they'll exchange it for a new one. They get their next shipment of citrus trees in November, so I'll swap it then.

I'm determined not to make the same mistakes with the new free as I did with the first one. I am going to keep a couple of the new lemon trees, and give the others away once they've matured a bit more.

@Sunshine: Thanks for the advice regarding manure. I followed the advice of an employee at a local nursery. I should mention it was composted manure. The pot we chose was not only for decor, but also the size. Advice online suggests a white or light colour pot to keep the roots cool during summer. The pot has a 1" hole in the bottom (similar to terra cotta pots). The only reason I added styrofoam and gravel was to prevent the soil from sitting in water before any extra was able to drain. In hindsight, I realize it was unnecessary. I don't think the pot was a contributing factor to the issues the tree was suffering though.

I definitely haven't given up. I'm not discouraged by my learning experience. In the end I'll have even more tree, because if not for this experience I wouldn't have started the seedlings.

• Myles Allan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

P.s. Sunshine, your citrus tree is beautiful!

6 years ago

Thanks Myles:) I am so happy for you that you are going to get a replacement tree. In couple of years you will have harvest of your own fruit tree. Keep us updated :) Help is always available in this community of citrus lovers!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor