SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edenaurora

Fixing a horrible layout: How does this new layout look?

edenaurora
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We have a small home (1500 sqft 4/2) that we built 5 years ago. We did a USDA direct loan and were prohibited from any upgrades or major changes. After living in the space for several years we've realized the kitchen is horrible. The day the appliances were delivered I opened my new FD fridge and the doorknob for the pantry dented the fridge door. One of my three drawers only opens maybe 1/2 way because it hits the side of the fridge. I have no real useable counter space and find myself wedged between the side of the fridge and sink.

We are heading into a full remodel of the kitchen and want to make sure this is the best layout possible. We are ripping out the pantry and switching the fridge and stove around. I think our biggest concern with the proposed layout is the clearance around the kitchen table near the dishwasher. We are a family of 6 so all seats of the table are used. The two people who sit on the side near the sliding door are ok with minimal space as we keep the table pretty close to the slider now (slider is rarely used). We have considered getting a 30" x 60" dining table. Our children are 15, 13, 11, and 8 months. In the next few years we'll have less people seated at the table. We have plenty of room in the living room near the window to have a folding table and chairs for when we have family and friends over (which is very rare as our home is so small).

We are going with Designcraft Potter's Mill in White Icing with Cambria New Quay counters. The cabinets are frameless with Blum hardware. We'll have a SS Apron sink. We are having the whole house tiled with Wood Talk Pepper Grey plank tile by Ergon Tile.

We'd love any feedback.

Comments (29)