SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edenaurora

Fixing a horrible layout: Reveal!

edenaurora
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We built our home 5 years ago. We had customized a 3/2 floorplan and turned it into a 4/2 without changing the square footage. We had reconfigured just about everything but the one thing we didn't touch was the kitchen. On paper, it seemed like a decent layout. Fast forward to move-in day, ugh. The refrigerator door dented the first time we opened it because it hit the doorknob on the corner pantry. One of my three drawers only opened 1/3 of the way because it hit the side of the refrigerator. That day we realized we hated the kitchen.

Over the years we had pondered all the ways we could change the kitchen and finally decided to take the leap late summer/early fall. The process was pretty stressful even though we hired a KD/Contractor. We also replaced all our flooring with wood-look tile. We have 3 teens and a baby and lived in the house during the process. They started demo on Sept 18th and most everything was finished before Thanksgiving.

We did opt to keep the OTR microwave because we really needed the cabinet space. I'm glad that we did. I absolutely love the layout and all of the storage/counter space.

Materials used:

Cabinets - DesignCraft Potter's Mill Reversed raised panel in Maple White Icing

Counters - Cambria New Quay

Backsplash - Daltile Rittenhouse Square Arctic White 3x6 Subway

Sink - Kraus 33" Stainless Farmhouse sink

Faucet - Blanco Culina Semi Pro

Pulls - Jeffery Alexander Belcastle Brushed Nickel

Floors - Ergon Wood Talk in Grey Pepper porcelain tile

Here's the original layout:

Before:

After:

Comments (33)