SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

My Identity Stolen

gazania_gw
8 years ago

And it was so easy for someone to do. It could very easily happen to you.

Ten days ago, I received in the mail a notice from Sears Credit thanking me for applying for a credit card, however they regretted to inform me that I was turned down due to my current debt obligations and total annual income.

I immediately called Sears and told them that I had not applied for a card. A three way conversation initiated by Sears, a fraud alert agency and I supposedly set the record straight, and I was told to then contact The Barclay Group, issurer of Sears Cards. There I was told that $10.59 was charged for the opening of the new account in my name. I was assured that I would not be responsible for the charge and a fraud alert was put on any accounts on my behalf.

Ok, I am thinking that all is well and I can get on with life!

Nope, the next day I recieve a Sears Credit Card in the mail. All I have to do is call to activate it. So I called Barclay and asked: why, if I was turned down for a card, did you issue one anyway. No problem they told me, the card would not have been activated if I had called to do so.

Now I am not so sure that all is well, but I try to put it out of my mind. Today, 10 days after this started, what do I get in today's mail, but a letter from 'card services' giving my pin # to use with my Sears Select Mastercard to withdraw cash from ATM locations worldwide. HUH!!

What we all need to know is that the person who tried to open an account using my name, just needed a name, an address and a SOCIAL SECURITY #. And where would all the necessary information be found. In our MEDICAL RECORDS.

I had 4 doctors appointments in the past 6 weeks. You don't suppose that someone who works at any doctors office could be dishonest enough to make a practice of lifting the needed info to try to open many accounts, getting a good discount on a purchase by saying yes to the sales person who says, "if you open a charge account today, you can get 25% off your purchase today".

From now on, my social security # will not be given to anyone. With the medical insurance that I have it isn't necessary, but for many of us older folks, it is used to get medicare coverage.

Be aware of who has your ss#.

Comments (46)

• chisue
    8 years ago

Maybe we are not not as safe as I thought? We froze our three reports a decade ago to prevent anyone trying to open an account based on that information. But you are saying a card was issued even though credit had been declined by Sears?

Wait, though...YOU got the card at YOUR address. The thief did not? (Still don't understand why the card was issued at all if 'you' didn't meet the report and income qualifications.)

gazania_gw thanked chisue
  • Alisande
    8 years ago

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but glad it seems to have been resolved.

This year I made appointments with two physicians (new to me), and both asked for my S/S # on their medical history forms. I left it blank. Unless they have a good explanation, i see no reason why a doctor needs my S/S #. My Medicare number uses my late DH's S/S #. I don't know what kind of a situation would ensue if that were stolen.

gazania_gw thanked Alisande
  • Related Discussions

Europeana. Stolen identity???

Q

Comments (1)
    Welcome to the world of body bags =)... The big box stores are notorius about this, thier suppliers get the stock mixed up and labled wrong and sometimes the stock is virused.. If you really want a specific rose.. order it from a reputable nusery.. even then there can be mix ups, but usually its in the same class of rose.. (pickering seems to have quite a mix up on thier alba orders a couple years ago.. hence I have great maidens blush and regular maidens blush now.., instead of great maidens blush and alba maxima growing next to each other) However they are both excellent condition on for me superior root stock to my area.. Sometimes i will pick up a el cheapo body bag to grow a Hybrid Tea for a year or two... knowning I cant really grow that class well here, just to grow them as annuals Silverkelt
    ...See More

WAS THE TAIL TO MY POLARIS STOLEN?

Q

Comments (0)
    How easily do these come off? All I know is one day it was there and the next day someone helping me clean up some bad algae told me it was gone and they had already ordered me another one (or will put back my same old one and charge me for it? ) It's no where in the water and no one's been in the back yard. Is it possible it could have been sucked up through the side return? Pool was built in the '80's.
    ...See More

Was my Polaris TAIL STOLEN?

Q

Comments (0)
    How easily do these come off? One day it was there and the next day someone helping me clean up told me it was gone and they had ordered me another one (or will put back on my same one and charge me for it?) No one else has been in the yard and it's not in the pool. Could it have been sucked up in the side return? Pool was built in the 80's.
    ...See More

Someone has stolen my Houzz account

Q

Comments (3)
    https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us?mobile_site=true from the pull down menu, under About, select Company, Contact Us
    ...See More
  • gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The thing is, that I have no accounts of any kind in my name only. I am listed jointly with DH on our only charge account. We do not let our one charge card out of our sight and have never used the internet to charge anything and do not do any online banking, thinking that we would be safe. Not so.

• olychick
    8 years ago

It does seem odd that the thief would have the card sent to your home address, but maybe it was a case where they hoped you (they) would be given instant credit and walk out of the store with merchandise. When the card was "denied" they wouldn't have been able to buy anything, but it's also curious that they were able to charge $10.59 on the account. Glad you caught it.

• User
    8 years ago

Are you, perhaps covered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield Anthem health insurance? Their breach resulted in customers' SSNs being stolen, along with DOB, address, etc. Or are/were you ever a US Government employee? There was also a breach at OMB that resulted in the theft of SSNs.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Given that this situation has occurred there may be other attempts at using your ID information. If you haven't already done so you might want to let your bank, credit card company and credit rating agency know that this has happened.

gazania_gw thanked blfenton
  • Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

"There I was told that $10.59 was charged for the opening of the new account in my name."

I have never, ever heard of a company charging to open a credit card.

Many years ago, companies would send out unsolicited credit cards to people. If they people cut them up and threw them away, nothing more happened with it. But if the person called to activate the card, it then could be used, just as if the person had applied for the card. Maybe now Sears has reverted back to just randomly issuing cards in the hopes that the recipients will activate/use them and their business will pick up.

• mojomom
    8 years ago

We got caught up in the IRS refund scam. Not one, but two, fraudulent returns seeking refunds (which weren't due). Luckily the IRS recognized them as possibly fraudulent and contacted us via mail for confirmation. Our CPA had to jump through some hoops when we did file in April --IRS wrote again to be sure. DH called them and confirmed (it should have been pretty obvious anyway, since I don't think the fraudsters file returns showing payments due and then make the payment! We have followed up with the measures suggested by the IRS to prevent further problems. The only thing we can't do is file early because much of our tax info comes from partnerships and corporations that are slow in getting K-1s and 1099s.

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bflenton, I have covered all all the places you mention.

Imstillcholecat, no connection to either of those two places.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sears cards are issued by Citibank, Never heard of them being issued by Barclay. There are only two cards available. Sears Card which is a store only card and Sears Mastercard which can be used everywhere. I have the latter. There is no "select" in the name. Check out the Sears CC website. What number did you use to call Sears? If it would from the fake letter or the fake card you may have been in a "loop" of fake calls including a fake bank representative. If you didn't call the real sears you need to do so immediately and see if they can help you. This whole scam may not be about the Sears card at all. That is just the bait for you to provide more and more info to the ID thieves as you try to fix the problem talking to them.

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

watchmelol, that is a scary thought. Here is what I found out in checking for a connection between Sears and Barclay

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=513911

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

That's interesting Gazania. I wonder if they actually went through with the plan since it seems to be the only info on the net about it. I would still go to the Sears CC website and Citibank and contact them. No matter where your situation originated it's fishy.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

I just found another more recent reference to the Barclay Sears connection. Apparently they do exist.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Would someone comment on the safety measure of freezing your credit reports (as we did)?

I don't know why a person would NOT do this. You can 'unfreeze' as you wish for a day or a few hours, and to a specific inquiry, should you be applying for credit.

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

Oh my, this just happened to me too!

Yesterday, I received an unknown CC bill from Walmart. Right away, I called Walmart and told them that I did not opened a CC account with them. The customer service agent transferred me to their CC Fraud department. They right away closed the account and sent out an alert to the Credit Bureau. He told me that I was not responsible for any of the amount.

I also found out the charges was done shopping online. I'm gathering that wherever the products were sent to, that can be easily trace down to the crook.... I hope.

I also found out that Walmart had my correct DOB & SSN.

Gazania was right. Only insurance and medical records would have a hold of these 2 info.

After hanging up from Walmart, I went online to check my credit report with Esperian. 2 CCs was applied without my knowledge: Walmart & Best Buy. However, Best Buy didn't accept the application due to suspicious of fraud sent by Esperian.

I put a Security Alert through Esperian. Esperian will automatically alert the other 2 Consumer Credits (Equifax & Trans Union). The alert will stand for 90 days.

I received a notice last year from one of my very old insurance company that their system was hacked. I tried to keep and eye on my accounts (only have 2 CCs) and be on alert but it still happens.

Since I don't need to open any credit, I am planning to put a credit freeze which lasts for 7 years. Monday, I am planning to report this to the local police. Once I get a copy of the police report, I can do the credit freeze at no cost.

It's so frustrating. I am careful, I lost no credit cards but feeling of having no control of my medical records is something else.

By the way, I do know that we're allowed to get 1 free credit report per year. Do any of you know if that would be 1 free credit report from each of the 3 consumer credit companies or just 1 from any of those company?

• angelaid_gw
    8 years ago

I get one free report from each of the three companies every year.

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

Great, thanks Angelaid.

I asked because, I'm planning to wait for 4 months to get a free credit report from one of the other company. Then, wait another 4 months after that to get a report from the 3rd company. That way, I can monitor my credit report every 4 months without charge for now.

Once I put a credit freeze, I'd feel a bit more at ease.

I've also heard about stealing Social Security checks by changing information such as mailing address, bank account number, etc.. Something else to be on the watch for.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

My sons passport was stolen in San Francisco on Wednesday (as well as all of his camping, climbing and hiking equipment) First thing he did was call the police then the Canadian consulate who cancelled his passport number, and then he called his bank and his credit card company. When he gets home later tonight he will notify the RCMP and Equifax. Every day he has been checking his online banking and credit card statements. What a nuisance but oh so scary for him as well. Fortunately he will beable to get back across the border without a passport.

• lovemrmewey
    8 years ago

This happened to us after my husband forgot and used his debit card on an internet sporting goods purchase. The problem didn' t stem from the purchase but from the center that processed the one piece of the order that didn't suit. We received Gevalia coffee (very good first shipment, not so much for the second) at our home for a couple of months until I convinced them that we didn't didn't order it (they also said to use it).There were many little purchases (which the bank reversed) and we were told they were 'checking out' the account.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Lindsey -- Thanks for the link to the Consumer Report article on freezing credit. It cost us nothing to freeze ours -- guess we were *old* enough! We've lifted the freeze about three times with no charges and no hassle; just a phone call to one reporting service to open our records for a three hour window to a specific company. You do have to give them your PIN to verify you are YOU. I see zero downside to doing this.

So...no one can establish credit using our reports. That doesn't prevent someone from establishing a false identity as one of us if (s)he has the correct DOB and Soc. Sec. numbers.

We don't do withholding, so the IRS and State have nothing to offer a thief filing a return as one of us. I'm wondering where ELSE we could be vulnerable.

ntt_hou -- I would be amazed if Walmart made any effort to find the person who ordered goods sent to his address using your information. From what I've read, companies can't be troubled to follow up on these things. They write off any losses and raise prices for the rest of us to offset the losses. It's all part of 'shrinkage', like undetected shoplifting.

I've recently read that the credit report service records are mostly rife with errors anyway -- and can stay that way because the companies won't give us easy access to review them or to correct them!

• User
    8 years ago

We've had cases in our area where medical staff were charged with theft for stealing patient data but the chance of that happening is less likely than you'd think. Even so, you should never provide a full SS#, ever. I seldom even provide the last 4 digits if my DOB is given as well.

And just so you know especially where there is an EMR (the Electronic Medical Records) system any data you provide to your medical clinic ie name ss# and dob does not stay with just the doctor. It is uploaded into the system for hospital use and billing purposes. Many hands touch it; many who are not even in this country. Same holds true for insurance companies, they provide your data to various agencies to collect information on you.

We just received a letter from a data security center (ie cloud) used by my husbands former Oncologists' office alerting us that they'd been hacked and my DH's personal information had been stolen. It only took them 2 months to notify us and it's a local hit so I'm a bit worried.

Also, before you provide anything, try reading the privacy policies of places you have to surrender this information to. Even the credit card protection provided by the hacked services state they will be sharing your information for marketing purposes.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't think SS mails checks any more. I think it's all direct deposit.

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

Update with my case: Today, I called Esperian to the number that I was given when I was online on their website to set up a fraud alert. The Esperian agent advised me to go ahead and request a credit report from the other 2 bureaus. Since this was a case of ID theft, there may be other accounts opened that would not showed with Esperian. So, I did.

The agent also eplained that after the 90 days credit alert had expired, I can extend it for another 90 days at no cost. He advised me to get a police report if I want to do a credit freeze at no cost. So, I did.

Chisue, you're right, the agent at the bank that took care of Walmart account explained that they probably won't do a deep investigation where they'd go after the crook. The amount involved was very little to them. However, they did send out a credit fraud alert as it shown on my credit report with Walmart.

Imhappy&Iknowit, even if with direct deposits as it is in my case, I don't see why the crook can't change account information since s/he also have my SSN and DOB. Thus, I'm going to go to the local SS office and alert them as well. The Esperian agent also suggested me to do the same since the government agencies don't get any fraud alert from the Credit Bureaus. He told me that this is something I need to do in person with the Social Security Administration.

I've been doing alot of memory call back. Something else happened a few months ago. I am suspicious that a new employee at my local post office could be the suspect. I'm going to check this out just in case.

Arrgh! I want that crook to be caught!

• Cherryfizz
    8 years ago

I am sorry that happened to you. I like how you said you would be careful who you give you SS number too. I learned from taking fraud courses there are 2 pieces of identification you don't need to carry with you, at least here where I live - that is your Social Insurance Card and your Birth Certificate. Losing any of those pieces of ID can open a whole world of hurt for you. Yet I am still amazed at how freely people still give out their Social Insurance Number.

The job I do every few years is to hire a large group of people to work. I need Social Insurance numbers for proof of identity. I will call someone and let them know I will need their number and to bring it in. Often they want to give me their number over the phone or that of their spouse. I tell them to bring it in or tell me their number when they come to the office. How do they know they are talking to a legit person unless they have call display and see where I am calling from. Also the last few weeks before I start my actual job people are calling me at home looking for work. I don't know how they get my number or who is giving it out. I tell them I am not working yet but they still want to give me their names. I tell them to apply online and I will get back to them for further info once I received their applications. So anyone who has called me that I don't know personally I inform them I am not working yet but give me your social insurance number so I will have it. Almost everyone was willing to give me their number. I then ask them why would you give your ID over the phone to someone you don't know. I told them how easy it would be for me to steal their ID with that piece of information. I said don't ever do that unless you know the actual person you are talking to. Even the bank won't ever ask for your SIN unless you are opening an account. I can't imagine ever having a Doctor's office wanting that information but it might be different in the US.

I am so careful with my identification and social insurance number. Even putting it online to do my income taxes freaks me out a bit. I hope you don't have anymore trouble. Oh and another thing that bothers me is getting junk credit card applications in my mailbox that have my name and address on it. I don't even have a credit card

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cherryfizz, here in the USA, our Social Security # is the same# assigned by our good 'ol government to get Medicare, the primary medical insurance for us retired folks. The doctors office must have it to file claims for payment.

I am to see a new doctor in a few weeks. That doctor sent me a bunch of papers to fill out and take to my first visit. The very first blank to fill in was : What is your Social Security #? My primary health insurance is no longer Medicare, so I will leave that space blank.

• Alisande
    8 years ago

I don't understand why doctors' offices ask for our Social Security numbers separate from our Medicare information. As I said above, I've been leaving that line blank too. They always scan my insurance cards, so I would think that gives them all the information they need.

• vicsgirl
    8 years ago

Both my daughters , both in their 20's and single, had their identities stolen. Older one found out when she tried to file for a tax refund, IRS informed her the refund had already been paid to someone in Florida. My other daughter found there were several charges for gasoline purchases made in Georgia while she was living in NY and had her card on her person. Nobody knows "how" these thing happened. Both required a significant amount of paperwork, affadavits, etc to straighten out. II personally suspect a female cousin of theirs living in Tampa Florida may have found their SSN's somehow. This girl was in trouble with the law more than once, including stealing and cashing checks from her mother.

• chisue
    8 years ago

In the US, your Medicare number IS your Social Security number. Not a smart system.

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

Gazania, you said, "My primary health insurance is no longer Medicare..."

Everything I've seen regarding Medicare says that Medicare is always the primary insurance and any other insurance one has is secondary.

Or do you no longer have Medicare Part B at all?

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have through DH's employment (he is retired 17 years) a Medicare Advantage Plan. It does work with Medicare, but is considered our primary insurer for medical costs. Maybe this will explain it.

Medicare Advantage Plans, sometimes called "Part C" or "MA Plans," are offered by private companies approved by Medicare. If you join a Medicare Advantage Plan, you still have Medicare. You'll get your Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) coverage from the Medicare Advantage Plan and not Original Medicare.

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

I am already very well versed in the differences.

• User
    8 years ago

I've never requested a credit report. However, after reading this thread and because I used to work for DoD and had a security clearance (potentially hacked), I went online to Experian. So, I'm concerned about identity theft and I have to enter all my personal info on-line? That makes me nervous. Should I be calling Experian rather than submitting an on-line form?

• gardenspice
    8 years ago

Identity fraud originating from Medical records is pretty common from what I understand. I no longer give my SSN in medical offices and my company was one of the first to demand that our insurer stop using the SSN on the insurance ID cards.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I would definitely put a freeze on your credit. Good luck!

• mojomom
    8 years ago

Chisue, I don't know how not withholding protects you from the tax scammers if you make 1040-estimated payments on Federal and State taxes. We don't have withholdings either (all income is partnership, self employed, investment etc. (not wages)) but we do pay quarterly estimates. Fortunately the IRS caught it, but that money we paid in as estimates was sitting there for the taking by a fraudulent return claiming that actual income was less than estimates (or a loss). Had the estimates we paid been "refunded" to the fraudster, you can bet we would have had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get the IRS to re credit our account so we wouldn't owe it again.

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

Delilah66, if you have a protected computer (firewall, virus protection, etc.) then, it's pretty safe to get your credit reports online. That is, if you go to the correct website to do it. Those websites are protected. Normally, you can tell by looking at the website address, it should start with https://.

If you want a credit report from all 3 credit bureaus, Esperian, Equifax, Trans Union, then, go to Annual Credit Report (link below). Annual Credit Report is authorized by Federal law and it's secured (gov. reference: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports. Please read this as it explains about imposter websites and have useful information.)

If you want a credit report from just 1 credit bureau agency then, you can go directly to its website. Better yet, just go to Annual Credit Report; you can chose which agency you'd like to get a credit report from. It will take you to that agency website.

Annual Credit Report: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action.

When you're requesting your credit report, they will ask you questions that only you would know. Thieves would not normally have these information. I use "normally" because thief could be someone that knows you well all your life such as family, relatives, close friends, etc.. Other than that, only you can answer those questions correctly.

eg: Today, I was trying to do something on a government page, they asked me a series of over 10 questions. I passed them all except for 1. It asked me about whether any of the numbers were part of my cellular number. Well, none was from my current one so I checked "none of the above". I didn't pass and the system locked me out. Hey, I didn't remember my old cell number from over 10 years ago! So there, those websites are very secured.

I also called my bank to alert them of id theft. They gave me security code for verification when I call in for information. I still need to visit the Social Security office. Once that's done, I think I had done all I could at my end.

• chisue
    8 years ago

mojomom -- Ack! Thanks for that. I knew there had to be more loopholes. I hadn't considered the convoluted request for 1040-ES refunds claiming a drop in estimated income. It's *somewhat* encouraging that the IRS found this attempt fishy in your case. (Under-the-mattress is looking better daily! haha)

• danihoney524
    8 years ago

I wanted to share a couple other ways your identy/money can be stolen. Both happened to me. By the way, I'm really sorry you've gone through this. It is so frustrating.

It seems like the majority of id theft is from credit cards. This first one happened years ago, when this was a relatively new crime, but it wasn't credit. Someone took my name and driver's licence number and the account number of a closed checking account. Then they created a new account and went shopping, at Sears, Macy's, Home Depot, and Victoria's Secret. All in one day. They almost got cought at VS, which ended their shopping spree. I believe they got over $3,000 in merchandise. It was a NIGHTMARE trying to convince all the different agencies and stores that I wasnt the thief. I didn't lose any money, but my driver's license number is still flagged with telecheck. Sixteen years later. BTW, after I made contact with Macy's to explain the situation, Macy's started billing me for the $900 purchase. We had a pretty heated conversation about how they wouldn't even have my information if I hadn't called them to do the right thing.

The other was just a couple years ago. I was going over my bank statement and saw a payment to a cell phone company that we don't use. I checked a few monthes prior and noticed I had been paying someone elses bills. Cell phone and the utility bills. The utility bill was easy to miss because I use the same company. It was the cell bill that tipped me off. Someone used the account and routing number off a check one of us wrote and was paying her bills online. Once I cought it, I called the bank PG&E, and Verizon and had everything taken care of. The utility companies went after her on their own, so I don't know the outcome. There was a name on the accounts, but I was told it was probably fake.

So anyway, these are just a couple more areasto consider and keep an eye on.

Also, Sears can be kinda shifty. I would still be a little suspicious of them. I would not put it past them to issue you an unsolicited credit card. On the off chance that you accept it. It doesn't make much sense for a credit thief to have the card sent to your house. Unless, they were watching your house hoping to intercept your mail

• Kathsgrdn
    8 years ago

I work for the VA and was notified that my information was stolen. They offered free credit reporting services for 6 months. After that I am going to buy it from another company so I don't have to worry about this ever again.

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

danihoney, the way I see this is that the person collects many names, addresses and SS# from her place of employment and makes a practice of opening new charge accounts just to get the percentage off their purchase at the time. Nobody catches on till a card they didn't apply for comes in the mail. Meanwhile the thief has done the same thing with many other names etc that she has lifted at work. It is small scale compared to many identity theft cases, but still a mess for unsuspecting folks like me. I hope that it goes no farther than it has for me, however I am still a little uneasy about what may still come.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Gosh, I could be considered a scammer. A persuasive cashier at Kohls convinced me to open an account there. I had to type in my information, including Soc. Sec. number. I received $6 off on the two pair of slippers I was buying. (Big Whoop!) Then the card application was declined. The cashier said I'd receive something in the mail about that, and I went home. When I came to my senses (saving six dollars!), I was glad I was rejected and decided to ignore any mailings. It took until the next day for me to remember --- DING! -- our CC reports are frozen!

The frozen reports protected me...from me!

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

LOL Chisue, that's a good one! And, you got $6 saving too!

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ntt_hou, thank you, thank you for posting this valuable information. I will be following up on it today!

• User
    8 years ago

Kathsgarden, I'm sorry you're one of the victims and am shocked that they are only giving you six months protection. I'm not sure as to how much protection one really gets with these services, only time will tell. We've had to sign up hacking from my DH's Oncologists office, Target & Home Depot all of which gave a year. The VA really needs to get it's act together.

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

Glad to be of help Gazania_gw.

That website sure has real good information. Wish I had it from the beginning to guide me through. Fortunately, I followed my common sense and already had done about 90% from their check list.

Hope you get things straighten out at your end and put a stop from further damage.