SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccoydl

Help on replacing AC and furnace

Darrin McCoy
8 years ago

We recently found out that we have a bad leak in our AC unit and it required adding 6 lbs of freon. This unit is a 10 year old Armstrong builders grade 3.5 ton AC and 88K BTU furnace. I have been told it makes the most sense to replace my AC and furnace rather than try and find and fix the leak.

Our AC system has never performed properly from the beginning. In the summer once it hits high 80's or higher, it runs 24/7 and our house never gets below 78 degrees even in the evening when it cools off. For example the other night it was 80 degrees outside at 10:30 and our house was still 78 degrees. Only early in the morning will it cool down to around 74. It is a 2500 soft two-story house with a finished basement which I know can be harder to cool and heat.

The contractor that I am considering the most spent a lot of time looking over everything and measuring the duct work etc. He said our returns and duct work was adequate for 4-ton and thinks it might help with cooling issues. He also noticed quite a bit of leaking in some of duct work in the basement and said those should all be fixed during the install. We would really like to keep our costs down so we are leaning toward quote #1 or similar. We have to stay with the 80% furnace due to requiring remodeling and such to run new lines. Would it be worth upgrading to the Performance 80 furnace (58CTW) that offers two-stage and VS blower or will it not provide much benefit without also going with a Performance or higher series AC? What is the best thermostat to use if we choose this system?

We just want to make sure that our new system will cool our house properly and would appreciate any opinions, recommendations or other suggestions on the best equipment for our needs. Thank you

Quotes:

1. Carrier equipment 13 seer a/c - 80% furnace
58STA090---1--16 - Comfort series 88,000 btu single stage furnace 80%
24ABB342A003 - Comfort series 3.5 ton air conditioner
CNPVP4221ALA - Performance series 3.5 ton cased evaporator coil
TC-PAC01 - Comfort series programmable thermost
Filter cabinet & media filter
2 years labor warr

2. CARRIER equipment 15.5 seer a/c - 80% furnace
Rated ARI6385574
58CVA090---1--16 - Infinity series 88,000 btu 2-stage variable speed
Furnace 80%