SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpinsonjr

Replacing 21 yr old Trane A/C -Furnace. Tiger/Ryan - Suggestions?

jpinsonjr
15 years ago

I have been following the HVAC forum on Garden Web for awhile and see that you have been very helpful to many. I was wondering if you could help me as well. I appreciate any and all advice.

I live in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Electric bill -

August $269.05 for 2353kWH includes all taxes, munical franchises fees, Fuel & Purchased Power Costs and FERC - Imposed payment.

July $226.74 for 1972kWH

Natural Gas - 18 year Gas Water heater(replacing it as well) and gas cook stove.

August $94.99 for 49 CCF

July $23.03 for 7 CCF

We have been using the same trane service person/company for over 10 years and I try to buy the installer. I have them come out annually and check things out because the upstairs furnace is so old and my children are upstairs.

In 2004, they installed a 2-1/2 XR12 Heat pump (2TWR203B1000AA) with a Variable speed air handler (TWE037E13FB1) with a 5" media filter. It replaced a 17 year 3 ton traner XE800. Fairly happy but we have too much humity in the house. 2 story house on slope with crawl space that is 2ft to 9 Ft in height.

Currently I am looking to replace a 1987 year gas furnace and air conditioner located upstairs. It is a Trane XE800 8 seer 2 ton unit with a 20 x 25 return air space. To install a heat pump, I will need an electrician to run 60amp breaker up there.

They did a manual J calculation for my upstairs and say I need 1.3 tons but the smallest sold is a 1.5 ton. They gave me a copy of the manual J. It's 6 pages of information that is somewhat confusing.

Here's the quote but it seems high to me.

XL14i with variable speed air handler, aluminum evaporator coil and Trane touch screen thermistat. Include 10 years parts and labor. No need to replace the lines because they are large enough.

Heat Pump $ $9105 includes 2 5K heat strips.

2 Stage variable speed furnace $8208.

XR13 with variable speed air handler, aluminum evaporator coil and Trane touch screen thermistat. Include 10 years parts and labor. No need to replace the lines because they are large enough.

Heat Pump $ 7150 includes 2 5K heat strips.

2 Stage variable speed furnace $6985.

Questions

Is this a fair quote?

Humidity is an issue in the summer. Will this system do an adequate job?

I keep hearing about the Honeywell controls that allow units to better contral humity.

Are there better units for my needs?

Thanks

James

Comments (4)