SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feelawsofee

PERMIT KNOWLEDGE NEEDED! Permitted carport converted to guest cottage

Sophie
8 years ago

I recently purchased a rural zoned 5+ acre parcel with two structures - a house and a guest cottage. I had heard rumors that the guest cottage had only been permitted to be a concrete slab carport. I didn't care to keep the guest cottage as it was completely dilapidated and interior water damage had covered it floor to ceiling in mold. I am a fairly "by-the-book" person, so I decided the proper thing to do would be to just put it back to its permitted use. So I voluntarily deconstructed the cottage piece by piece in order to donate the salvageable parts. It was almost back to the permitted carport (just 2 sides of exterior wall frame with plywood siding left to remove) when I received a letter from the county Dept of Planning of a complaint for doing construction without a permit and they put a stop-work-order on the premises. I explained the situation and the building official said I needed a permit for that. HUH?

So let's say I never touched the structure and someone complained that I had an un-permitted guest cottage. And given the condition of it - being a health and safety hazard - the Dept of Planning instructed/forced me to take it back to the permitted use of a carport . . . . would I need to apply for permission (a permit) to do so?

I ask . . .What happened to sense of Reason? Rational? Logic?

and also . . . What do I do now?

Comments (7)