SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sculb1

Layout Help Needed by Newbie!

sculb1
11 years ago

Hello everyone!

I have been reading these forums obsessively as DH and I march toward a long-awaited renovation. Would really love some honest input on our kitchen layout as I am setting up meetings with cabinet people in the next few weeks and hoping to get things ironed out soon so I can get my permits in and start making final product decisions. This is my first post, so please forgive if I miss anything!

Our house is a late 1960s Dutch ranch with 8 foot ceilings. We have 2 kids, ages 11 and 8, and plan to stay here for the long haul. I cook often, although its not my favorite thing to do, Im hoping Ill enjoy it more after this is complete! DH likes to cook when he is home, and (hopefully) the kids will pitch in at some point, too! The kitchen is our main hub for homework while I prepare dinner, and an island is essential for this. We entertain small groups of friends now and then, and host large family gatherings several times a year.

We are working with a design/build firm and have shown our plans to two KDs for input. Our plans include removing the wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room and living room to open up the space. We also have plans to raise the ceiling over the windows and sink in the kitchen. The center structure in between the dining room and kitchen is envisioned as a hutch-style beverage station/buffet that will have some sort of counter top that is accessible from both sides. This area includes some structural support, so while the dimensions can change somewhat, I dont think it can be moved too far.

Appliances: Ideally, I would prefer a range and wall oven/micro combo, but this plan only includes a 36" gas range. The budget may not allow a built-in fridge, but we have another in the basement, so I dont need a huge one, and currently have plans for a 30". Also, DH and are both under 5 6" and can hardly reach the top shelves of the behemoth models!

Flexibility: this is a complete gut job, so walls, windows, doors, etc. can move. The center support structure is the only essential part of the layout. The island shape/size is TBD for now depending on the final layout. I would ideally like seating for 4 at the island.

The 38" area to the left of the fridge was where the wall oven was originally located, but there wasnt enough clearance to open it with the counter behind. So, we took that out for now and this version just includes a range.

What I like so far:

-Moving the kitchen to the back of the house to enjoy the backyard view.

-having the sink under the large bay of windows

-the range as a focal point at the end of the island

-the buffet/bev station as a separation btw kitchen and dining

-the pantry

Thoughts? I would like the option for a rangetop/wall oven, and Im concerned about walkway clearance throughout. Id also like the sink to be 36" instead of the current 30"

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this! Ill appreciate any help I can get!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (30)