SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfinamore67

Money Tree Health Issues

Kerri F.
8 years ago

Hello all! I purchased a money tree from a local forest for my cubicle about 2 months ago. The florist told me the tree was low maintenance, didn't need very much light (I have no sources of good light near my desk) and only needed to be watered about once a week. When I got the tree I recall all the leaves being a lush dark green. I had it on my desk and during the day I move it up to the ledge of my cubicle so it can get some indirect sunlight from the windows of the offices around me. I water it about one a week (about a small espresso cup full of filtered water. I was also fertilizing it every other week with Miracle Gro water soluble fertilizer but using a fraction of the recommended dose. I hear they like humidity so I try to spray the leaves a few times a week. I should also mention it is usually freezing in my office. Also, the pot that the tree is in has no drainage holes. Two weeks ago I noticed a bunch of the bigger leaves on top had turned an lighter shade of green and feel thinner than the darker leaves. I called the florist and even took the tree to him. He said that they were new leaves at which I expressed confusion because those light green leaves hadn't been there four days earlier. He told me that they grow extremely quickly within a few days time. This morning I noticed that one of the tips of the darker leaves has started to fade into that lighter green color. I have a feeling the plant is either (1) not getting enough light or (2) is suffering from root rot because of the lack of drainage holes in the pot. I wanted to repot it but the florist said I might kill it if I do and to leave it as is for now. I have been thinking about taking it home but I have a cat and am concerned about him eating it. Before I make any rash decisions, I would appreciate if someone could look at the pictures and let me know what the problem could be. Thanks!

Comments (6)