SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_ball

Is it ok to plant conifers without amending soil?

Nick Ball
8 years ago

I planted a 5' tall Pauls select Norway Spruce on July 1st. I know I shouldn't plant in summer but it's been unusually cool this time of year in northern Illinois and we have received record rainfall.

I have read a lot about planting techniques and fertilizing conifers. It seems all the places selling trees think you should amend soil and fertilize with some type of root starter when planting. Other sources say to just plant it in native soil for best results and that this will force the roots to actually go deeper in search of better soil and more water. I went the latter route after reading about a landscaper who said that he had noticed root systems went deeper without amending soil.

As it is now, my Norway looks ok. Maybe mildly stressed. I keep it watered every 48 hours if we don't get a substantial rainfall. The heat is starting to pick up around here and sometimes I wonder if I should give it a little boost of root starter or something else to help it out a bit. But I'm new to the game and I don't know what I should do. I really want the tree to do well. It wasn't cheap and I don't want the time and effort I put into getting it home and planting to go to waste. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath