SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Will you please check this kitchen plan for me.

ILoveRed
8 years ago

My oldest dd and her DH have gutted the first floor of a city house that is the same width as this kitchen plan. They are trying to get this house done quickly because their condo sold quickly and their rental is $$$$. I don't want them to make mistakes in their haste.

I looked this plan over. The only thing I see wrong is the 36" hood over the 36" range. This is what they want to do..so mouth zipped on this issue. Do you see any other problems here that are real problems? I have more schematics if needed. Thank you for your expertise!!

the cabinets are MidContinent, maple, painted white. The windows do not exist yet and the door doesn't either. Right now that wall has only a sliding door and that's it. They have a toddler and a baby and right by the door on the plan is a bench/mudroom type area. The cabinets next to it are closets and pantry.

Comments (21)

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Better pic of wall

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Is there a prep sink in the island?

• Related Discussions

Please check my plans for oven choice and layout

Q

Comments (16)
    Ontariomom and Barbarav I do like my Bosch oven although the glass cleaning can be an issue. I have been very careful taking items with liquid out of the oven to avoid anything dripping into the vent opening at the top of the door. No problems for 2 years until I grabbed a baked sweet potato wrapped in foil a few weeks ago and ended up with a small drip. It's not noticeable until you turn the oven light on so I'm not motivated to do anything about it yet, Someone had some tips for reaching into the vents to clean the glass that I might try, or worst case we take apart the door to clean it - it's out of warranty at this point anyway. The counter and cabinet do not become excessively warm when the oven is on and it vents from the front - so I wouldn't worry about installing it next to a refrigerator. I do have a friend with that set up (different brand) who dented her refrigerator door by opening it against the oven handle - so it's good to be aware of those possible issues as you evaluate brands. I have an odd little set up in my kitchen - that works for me. But here is a look at my raised cabinet oven. The cabinet is 42 inches and the granite brings the height to 42 3/4 - the same as your plan Ontariomom. The oven sits a couple inches higher than my old range oven - so bending isn't an issue for me. The counter steam/microwaves work well for the family at that raised counter height. I went with the Bosch 500 for the knob/retro look, size and price at the time. Beyond the drip, it's been a good oven that bakes evenly. I also know that many here love their Electrolux ovens. Good luck with your decision!
    ...See More

Help Me!!! Check out floor plan...I'm confused!!

Q

Comments (2)
    I'll confess to not being able to read the floor plan properly. But, I do love tile/stone in a kitchen. Looks like you have an island? does the kitchen continue past/around the island?
    ...See More

Please double-check my roof plan!

Q

Comments (4)
    I should add that it does make sense in framing, because it may be an actual hip rafter that needs to be there, but it would not be detectable once the sheathing is on; I assumed this was a view of roof changes-in-plane, not of framing members. Casey
    ...See More

Please check out this and tell me if you know what it is.

Q

Comments (5)
    Larry, do you see that long thread-like protuberance in the second and last pictures? That's the mouthpart of the moth, the proboscis. When not in use, the insect coils it tightly under the head, out of sight. It uses the proboscis, as do all butterflies and moths, to siphon nectar from flowers.
    ...See More
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think it looks good. While the ideal flow is from fridge to sink to cooking appliance, this is a very common plan and works well, IMO. It's a very similar layout to my kitchen. I also have narrow aisles--they work but it's not ideal. You'll probably hear some suggestions to try to widen the aisles or make the island narrower. I think the work aisle will squeak by, but they might need more room for seating and for traffic to pass when stools are pulled out. I wouldn't suggest making the overhang narrower, but maybe they could eliminate the cabinets on the back of the island. If they don't want to make the island narrower, the pantry wall could be made shallower--except for bev fridge, but it's to the right of the island seating, so having it jut out a little might work. Good luck!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Just read benjesbride's question--I think a prep sink in the island is a good idea, but if one is included, then the work aisle needs to be a little wider.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

There doesn't seem to be an obvious place for dishes/glasses/flatware storage. Maybe they need deeper drawers in the island across from the sink? As it is, unloading the dishwasher might be an even greater chore because they'll probably unload it to the island and then transport from the island to final destination.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I think the microwave would be better next to the beverage fridge. Across from the range might be an awkward, congested location. It depends on how one uses a microwave, but I don't think it needs to be in the range-sink prep area.

ILoveRed thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

That overhang is looks pretty deep on the back of the island - will they be able to get to those cabinets? I wouldn't make the overhang much more than 15" to 18" past the doors of those cabinets on the back of the island. (No measurements, so I cannot tell what the overhangs are.)

OTOH, it looks like the overhang may be too shallow on the bottom of the island - again, plan for a 15" overhang past the decorative door/end panel on the side of the short end of the island.

Definitely add a prep sink in the island. There will then be a good separation of zones and allow for multiple people working in the kitchen without tripping over each other.

A 42" hood would look and function much better than a 36".

If the refrigerator changes from a built-in, they may have to increase the space b/w the wall and refrigerator to 9" to 12" to allow the refrigerator door(s) to open.

ILoveRed thanked Buehl
  • ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Benjesbridee...there will be a prep sink in the island. They weren't going to put one in but I talked them into it since I have always regretted not putting one in my house.

Also, I was/am a little concerned about dish storage as well. Dd has her heart set on this ceiling to COUNTER glass cabinet for dish storage (I can't find the picture she sent me). I know I'm not describing it very well. That is the cabinet in the far left corner looking at the window wall. I hope it's not awkward to reach into since it sits kind of sideways. Ideally, there would be uppers on that window wall for dish storage. But, her DH really wanted the big windows with no cabinets on that South window wall, their only source of light on that end of the house. So this cabinet will hold their dishes. I am also a little concerned about backsplash on that window wall with that sideways dish/storage cabinet. This cabinet if I'm reading it right is 3 ft wide and 18" deep. What do you think of it?

Benjesbridee..you also asked about flatware. I suppose it could go to the right of the dishwasher or even above the trash pullout. Is that gross?

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mamagoose...I wanted them to make the working aisle greater than 42", since I was a little concerned about it being too narrow,. But Son-in-law doesn't want to have the opposite side any smaller. He says it's almost five feet and he wants to keep it big. I know 42" is minimum, isn't it. He does all the cooking..so it is a one person kitchen at least :-)

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Those hutches are really pretty. Unfortunately, I think it sounds a bit awkward but if it makes her happy...

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Ditto benjesbride.

42" will work well for one cook, but will he always be the only cook? My DD and her young family live with me now, so we have three cooks. But you learn to say, "Excuse me for a sec," and it works out OK.

If your SIL has never been on GW, you might send him some links about aisle widths, and the New to Kitchens thread, as well as the NKBA guidelines.

He might find them interesting reading, and might decide to do some adjusting. And it won't be as if he's taking advice from his MIL. ;)

ILoveRed thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sophie..so glad you chimed in here :-)

i agree. I think a sink, even a small one at the bar/beverage area would be good. Do you think 3 sinks is too much? While the place is gutted, I think it's smart.

Yes, after looking at those beverage center cabinets..they would look better if in line with the ones to the left. Or the one to the left needs to be a solid door?? And stemware holders and maybe even a wine rack?? I will show this to the kids (30s, not kids).

Posting island schematic. Kids planning trash in island and (I think) to right of window sink. Two trash pull outs. Overkill? They recycle big time compared to us. Hmmm.

i have no idea how they are planning to support the stone. But, I will find out. I will also make sure that they have done their homework on the design of the island. I hadn't even considered this.

i agree that there is a mismatch between the quality of the cabinets and the appliances they have selected. I think they could have gotten a similar price from one of our local custom cabinet makers. We are 3 hrs south. But they went with this place because they can get the cabinets in a few weeks. The house is an up and coming city neighborhood. They bought it right. They are planning resale in 5 years. According to them, buyers don't even look at cabinet quality but they do pay attention to appliances thus the SZ frig and Wolf range. Sad commentary. They are watching every dime and want to turn a profit but I wish I felt more confident about the cabinet specs.

I printed out your post and I'm going to talk to them about your last paragraph and the specs you listed. Perhaps these cabinets can be upgraded. I know there is only two whites. Thank you!!!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Did a realtor advise them on the appliances or is that just their perception? If this house is planned to be sold in 5 years I'd have a realtor on board. To me that kind of changes the approach.

Is there a pretty view out that back window? South facing is nice unless that means bright, hot direct light requiring blinds in the summertime. And then the feature window is covered up.

Also, it just my opinion, but you don't have to have cabinets to move in. We have a 6 and 2 year old and we've been using folding tables and a utility sink for a while because I'm having a difficult time making a decision and I'm tired of spending money on our renovation.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beuhl...omgosh, I hadn't even noticed that overhang. Huge. I will talk to SIL and make sure that it's done properly. I also really wish they would go with the 42" hood. When I mentioned it to them before, I really only talked about it working better. I hadn't thought about it looking better. Giving up a mere 3" on each side. I think I will approach it one more time mentioning aesthetics.

beuhl..thanks for the tip on frig clearance too.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mama goose...I know what you mean, they want my advice and want me to look over everything. But, there is a fine line between advising and nagging or interfering. I don't want to do that. God bless you for having your kids live with you. You are a better woman than I am :-) I've sent SIL GW links. Aah, he doesn't have time. They both work so much. such busy kids these days.

Benjesbride..I wish I could find the picture of that corner hutch type cabinet that she sent me. It is pretty, but yes awkward is a good word to describe it. I think that's what troubles me most about her cabinet design that she might regret. Kind of having to hang over a counter to put dishes in a sideways hutch. Also, your question re: appliances...I don't know if a realtor told them this or if it is their perception. They have looked at so many houses...I mean dozens. Some finished and priced high and some needing rehabbed. They want to compete with the houses in the 1 million dollar neighborhood. Doesn't buy much in the city. Where I am it would buy a mansion ;-)

the south windows overlook the small back yard. They've never had a yard. How fun! It shouldn't be too hot. It's Chicago. God love you living in an unfinished place with two littles. I have a feeling they will be doing the same thing. Lease is up soon and they will have to move. It will be stressful. The baby will be crawling about that time. And I'm not close to help.

oh, the microwave. SIL wants it in the island. Just wanted you to know I saw your note.

thank you both. Thank you all. Any other advice I appreciate as wel.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

FWIW, we live in the city (San Francisco) and redid our kitchen in 2014. We asked our broker to comment on the cabinet vs. appliances issue re resale and he did tell us to splurge on the appliances but not on the cabinets, that in our area it's the built-in paneled fridge and dishwasher that sell the place, not the brand of the cabinets (although touches like soft-close and full-extension drawers are a plus). We went with a moderately priced but high quality cabinet line (Bellmont 1900), and good appliances at his suggestion.

ILoveRed thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • User
    8 years ago

If the price of this home will be in the 85-90th+ percentile for the region at sale, then yes, the kitchen design is appropriate. (Although the cabinet line is not.) That's SubZero-Wolf and custom Woodmode-Omega cabinet territory. If the price of the home is in the 70-90 percentile, then that's upper consumer grade stuff like maybe Bosch-Bertazzoni, and an upper mid grade semi custom line like Dynasty-Showplace, maybe stacked to the ceiling. If they are in the 30-70th % then the stacked cabinets and overall design is too much, as well as the appliances. That's standard Maytag to maybe lower GE Profile territory, with Kraftmaid/Medallion level cabinets. Lower than the 30-40th percentile would be basic entry level Kenmore-Frigidaire and Aristokraft-MidContinent stock level cabinets.

They have entry level cabinets mixed with upper level appliances and design. It's incongruous, and will result in a poor payback at resale.

The ''rules'' change if someone is going to spend a significant length of time in the home and has no problem with the expense of a project intended to give them pleasure over that length of time.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sjhockeyfan fan..that's reassuring. Although it sounds like you still went with a pretty good cabinet. DD wanted to panel the fridge. She said it added another 1k to the price tag.

Sophie..I believe you, honestly. and I'm starting to feel a little concerned. If they didn't need to be in such a big hurry, I think they would take this plan and get prices on other lines. I do remember someone here (don't remember who) did a beautiful kitchen in mid-continent. Thank you for the wise words.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

ILoveRed, paneling the fridge was a "luxury" item (in terms of cost - not just for the panel, but the installation took quite a bit of time), but it was critical to us - it's a "great room" (kitchen, dining and living are all one big room) and because we've had enough stainless steel appliances in our lives to know that we can't stand the maintenance (or the look if they're not maintained - water streaks and fingerprints just don't do it for me LOL). Your kids are just starting out, they can wait for a paneled fridge!

• Buehl
    8 years ago

"...Dd has her heart set on this ceiling to COUNTER glass cabinet for dish storage..."

Regarding those cabinets. Your DD and SIL need to do three things to make the dish storage cabinet truly functional and not a pain point when they start actually using it:

(1) Increase the depth of the upper cabinets to 14" or 15"

(2) Increase the depth of the base cabinets to 27" --or-- pull the base cabinets out 3" from the back wall.

Regardless of what you do with the base (deeper cabinets or pull them out), the upper cabinet needs to be deeper than 12 or 13 inches.

(3) In addition, the upper cabinet should not be a door down to the counter. It's far better to have a couple of drawers and then the doors. This is to allow you to use the counter in the front of the cabinets as landing space for the dishes without the doors getting in the way.

If the doors go to the counter, then every time they need to open one or more doors they will have to move anything that's on the counter out of the way. And, any time the doors are open to retrieve dishes (or put them away), you cannot use the counter as landing space.

With drawers, you don't need to open them all the way to access the contents and the vertical space taken up by the drawers gives you landing space in front of the drawers (on the counter) while still allowing you to access the cabinet(s) above.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!