SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Cutting squash vine tips for cooking

katyajini
8 years ago

I am intrigued to try squash vine tips or squash leaves or squash tendrils as they are variously referred to. I am reading about how these are enjoyed in many ethnic and regional cuisines and considered quite tasty not just food for the poor and hungry.

This is pretty much what they look like when harvested, culling from several blogs:

So there is the very tip, another node or so and then cut.

What I am worried about is that I don't want to decimate my plant and stop squash production just to get some leaves. Yet many people seem to be doing it.

Here is something I read in the Seeds of Italy website:

"You can increase production by niping out the main shoot after the first four leaves, to encourage secondary shoots. Repeat with the secondary shoots."

So is it true then that one can cut off the tip of the shoot and more tips will emerge from the nodes below (specially now that the plants are quite mature) and it wont affect squash production?

I have several trombocino squash plants that are growing very vigorously now and would like to give it a try.

By the way have you tried this way of having greens? It seems such a shame to me that squash plants produce so much greens and there is no way of having them.

Thank you!

K.

Comments (4)