SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

Help w schefflera plant

nnmjdklil
8 years ago

I bought this guy from an estate sale weekend before last for $10-- he was in a sunroom with lots of other plants, most in various states of near death. I liked the size and weird shape of this one and he alone looked to be very healthy, albeit bone dry. Not having time to repot right away, I gave him some water and put him in a morning sun window in my dining room, away from other plants just in case he had something icky on him that my eyes couldn't see.

I guess I overwatered? because he started dropping leaves the next day. I figured he'd dry back out and be ok and then I'd repot but as the days have gone by, he's dropped a lot more leaves. So today I decide to repot and I can't even get him out of his current little pot, he's so rootbound I had to crack the pot off around him. So at this point I figured I'd better hop on here to see if I'm even on the right track. I have some 5-1-1 mix that I was planning on putting him in... Is that right? And do I leave this huge dry dirt chunk on him or try and gently soak/spray most of that off and get him in totally fresh soil mix?

I know he's not what many would call pretty as the ones I google all are more bushy-looking... "leggy" seems to be something you want to avoid and he's looking kind of leggy? I don't know why but I really like this shape and I'd like to bring him back this way if I could, so I don't want to go lopping off most of his shape to start over. Just fyi because I'm thinking that might be the general suggestion... And I'd rather not go that direction if at all possible

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Nicole

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting