SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_m_diana

Climbing rose for Zone 5a/4

Nicole
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all-

I am looking at possibilities for a climbing rose for a zone 5a/4 location. The local nursery has Ramblin' Red, Tess of the d'Ubervilles and Benjamin Britten, but I'm not sure that the last two will really be climbers here. I have also found some banded varieties online that interest me: Quadra, The Prince's Trust and Rosarium Uetersen.

My favorites are fully double roses- I have planted a few David Austin shrubs this year after successfully overwintering Falstaff. In addition to Falstaff, I have: Molineux, Sharifa Asma (she may get moved to a pot because she is still pretty tiny after being put out in May), Mary Rose, Claire Austin, Abraham Darby, as well as two non-Austins: All The Rage and Little Mischief.

I'm in the process of renovating my garden (we just moved into the house last year, and it was pretty wild with overgrown perennials and weeds). The new climber would go behind the peony in the picture below (between the two windows), replacing the mallow-type plant that you can just see behind the peony (which is behind the daisies).

Thanks in advance for any advice. I love planting, but I'm not so good at design, so this is very much a work in progress.

Comments (10)