SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Raising my Monarch Brood

docmom_gw
8 years ago

I decided I'd document the process as I try to get Monarch eggs safely to adulthood. I'm starting with somewhere between 50 and 60 eggs, plus a few larger caterpillars, which were all gathered in my yard, my sister's yard, and my nearby neighbor's garden. I brought in every egg I found, but it's good to not know exactly how many there are, since it is guaranteed that not all will hatch and there will be losses along the way. For example, last night as I was trying to streamline my container system, I picked up a tiny leaf with a tweezers, and squished the back end of a newly hatched, microscopic caterpillar in my tweezers. Needless to say, I was sick. So, for a few days, until everybody gets a little size on, I'm not touching anything. Just throwing in fresh milkweed for them to climb on to. Once they are bigger, then I'll get into a system of daily emptying and cleaning containers and replacing everyone with fresh milkweed leaves or stalks to munch on.

Here, hopefully, are a few pictures. I might need to post them separately, depending on my tech skills.

Hmmmmm. Not working.

Martha

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County