SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

So, WHY do we raise butterflies, esp. Monarchs?

greenhaven
15 years ago

So I called a dear friend this morning, to share about our hatching butterflies and watching a cat pupate. She and I are very like-minded when it comes ot conservation and ecological matters.

When I asked if they were interested in babysitting whatever cats remained in cat form while we went on vacation, she laughed and asked why I didn't just turn them back loose to fend for themselves. She stated, "They have been taking care of themSELVES for thousands of years." It hurt my feelings and made me think maybe I was being ridiculous.

But I got to thinking about it. I KNOW why I brought these cats in and relocated others; I do not have enough feed to support all the cats, and I grow roses...which draws in the wasps in a big way.

I feel it is part of my duty to protect these cats/BF's in the unnatural setting I have created in my yard.

Furthermore, I know of the plight of butterflies, particularly Monarchs. I know of the plight of our native prairies and woodlands. The thing is, so does she.

Why would she pooh-pooh butterfly raising?

Why do you who do it regularly DO it, besides loving it? (Which is reason enough, IMO.) Are we NOT doing them any favors in giving them a boost they would not otherwise get, if it is getting harder to assume they will make it to their winter grounds?

Let's get philosophical and discuss the conservation aspect of what we do/are doing.

Just for the record I think my friend is dead wrong, and she really hurt my feelings. *pouts*

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm