SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minrose_gw

Raising of Monarchs

minrose
13 years ago

Hi there, I am new to this forum, this looks like a nice place to share my passion for butterflies especially Monarchs. I have been raising Monarchs since 2007, every year it increases how many I raise. This year I raised 617 Monarchs, it consumed alot of my time though, so I will have to scale back some next year, still hoping to do at least 400. I do it for many reasons but the main reason is to try and save as many as I can, with all the different elements going against them, there has been a decline in the Monarch. I am hoping to make a little bit of difference, at least. I raise most of them from an egg and when they evolve into the beautiful Monarch, I only keep them for a day or so, then release them. What a joy to see them fly off my hand! I do try to photograph each one before they fly away, most of the time I do get a photo but there are always a few that get away. Here is one of the photos I took this year. Anyone else raise Monarchs? I had raised about 5 Black Swallowtail butterflies in 2007 but have not found anymore catepillars since so I could do more.

{{gwi:552698}}

Comments (25)

Sponsored