SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurellily

Butterflies you raise, but do not have

LaurelLily
15 years ago

I've had multiple generations of BSTs, but the ONE time I have EVER seen one in my yard (except when releasing them) was a female laying eggs--I never, ever see them just flying around or nectaring. And yet, they must be coming back, because I'll find cats in my herb garden again and again.

I'm trying to increase the number of nectar plants I have (lantana, pentas, mums, salvias, wildflowers--oh GSTS, what else do you want?!) by adding a few every week. Meanwhile, I have to ask--why don't I ever SEE any BSTS?! They obviously live in the area, and they obviously come around my plants. I think they must be ninja-butterflies--you don't know they were there until they're already gone. (I feel like a parent: "I raised you! You ate me out of house and home! You come back and expect me to take care of your babies, but do you ever stop to visit? Nooooo! Why can't you be more like your cousin [gulf frit, which I find to be a very content-to-stay-around butterfly]? You are so ungrateful!"

Does anybody else actually raise butterflies that your garden never seems to have?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH