SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Difficulty raising Monarchs

butterflymomok
10 years ago

How I wish some of you were closer. After recovering more than 200 eggs, I'm struggling to get these to adulthood. I shared 16 with a friend, and she lost all of them. I have shared over 50 with Laura, and I hope she is successful. That leaves me with too many still. But some are on the verge of pupating. I've lost about 3 so far, first one pupated today, and 48 will be pupating in the next day or so. And then I have another 100 or so that are in various stages. The milkweed plants are getting stripped, and I'm pulling up the vines to feed them. I collect food, clean containers, and replenish 4 times a day. Once they get to the 5th instar, I move them into paper bags and throw in leaves until they pupate. It's become a full time job and I'm afraid to share larvae with just anyone. Can't bear losing them as I feel like the Monarch is counting on people like me.

It's been an amazing summer, as this is my fourth brood to raise, and I would say 4th generation for here. No one that I know is raising them. I've been in communication with Journey North, and it's still not looking good. It has been interesting to them that the Monarchs have seemed to stay in this area. As Elizabeth Howard says, there is still so much to learn.

Sandy

This post was edited by butterflymomok on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:45

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction