SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Organic solutions to pests and diseases in plants

strawchicago z5
8 years ago

I looked over pics. of my roses for the past 4 years. The healthiest was with chicken manure plus horse manure as mulch. Horse manure has lime so it provides calcium, plus neutralize the acidity of rain, plus provide beneficial bacteria to suppress pathogenic fungi.

I went to get horse manure today. It's in the shade, since the trees around it are so tall. It stopped raining for only a few days. Yet there was no flies, thanks to the nematodes in the manure that eats the fly-larvae. Good control for midge, since midge is a small fly. No mosquitoes either. No mushroom either, even when it's in a low & wet and gloomy place. I was there for 1/2 hour, the pile of the manure was over 8 feet tall, yet there's no smell. Lime helps to deodorize the manure. Below is Francis Blaise, 100% healthy in late October, mulched with horse manure. You can see the withered tomatoes behind, killed by frost.

Another picture of roses on horse manure: Pink Peace, Francis Blaise, and Liv Tyler, also taken in late October in my garden, zone 5a:

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES