SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_mueth

Question for Pros: Etiquette of multiple proposals and paying for them

Metro East
8 years ago

I am not schooled in this area. I am renovating our front landscape/hardscape and the budget is about 10k. The first landscaper I called gave me a proposal that included all sorts of subcontracting work (electrical, painting, gutters) that I didn't expect him to take on, and an underwhelming landscape design. Maybe due to waiting for bids from subs, it took him a long time to get back to me -- 6-7 weeks with zero communication in between to check in and make sure he was on the right track (and poor email responses). His proposal was over budget and did not include key parts of the reno. The landscape design included exactly 2 kinds of plants.

I then got bids from contractors on the non landscape part of the job. The first landscaper came back to me with a more focused design but I don't care for his ideas (and it was 2k over budget). I told him that I was also getting a proposal from another landscaper and then he wouldn't leave his design drawing with me, making it hard to discuss it with DH (but I get it). I met with another landscaper two weeks ago and he's yet to get back with me with a design/proposal but said he would give me a starting point and then work with us until it was right. In the meantime I have an appointment with yet another landscaper today. I'm starting to feel like a cheater. Is this poor etiquette or unethical? Should I offer to pay these guys for their time? If so how much? I don't want people mad at me or to waste their professional time. Not sure how much of this is an expected part of the business.

Comments (9)