SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaspal

36" induction cooktops: Wolf / Miele / Thermador / Bosch??

kitchengirl
8 years ago

I have been reading posts about, and looking at induction cooktops in stores, as it is new technology for me (in advance of completing construction on a new home). I've read a lot of specs and find that the more costly brands have quite a wide range of watts at max power and their features vary a good bit. I'm looking for 5 burners with a good layout (i.e., I'm not interested in the Thermador Masterpiece Freedom) and would like two equal-sized burners to link, if possible (for a griddle or roasting pan). The sales person encouraged me to look for one with individual controls, so one can still cook if one hob/burner control fails.

I liked the Thermador b/c it was available in a light color and had one of the highest watt big burners, but it lacks 2 linked burners and may have a central control, not individual ones.

I've read lots of criticism of the Bosch Benchmark, as it apparently turns on with the linked/flex-induction that must then be turned off, and many people complain about their firepower on that cooktop (could they not have the right amps?).

The Miele's layout, graphics, and deep red under glow are less attractive (to me), but may be a good choice if the new model with flex induction comes out by this Fall and I go with one or two Miele ovens (must purchase by December).

Finally, the Wolf has 4 equal-sized burners that link together, but its overall wattage seems on the low side. On the plus side, I like its controls and layout a lot, and my area store has it for a very low price of $2300 (do not know if this is even correct, but the UPC code and tag were there and it is not on sale).

I would appreciate all feedback or other model suggestions. I'm not sure that one even needs max wattage, as I read somewhere that 2,300 watts is equivalent to 15K (is that true?). I would like to flat-bottom wok and my largest sauté pan is currently 11".

Thanks!!

Comments (23)