Houzz Logo Print
bigdogstwo

The Plusses and Minuses of the Book Club Book

11 years ago

Hello friends,

My beloved book club has chosen another chick-lit too-mushy-even-for-the-beach book. And I cannot read it. As part of my commitment to book club, I do attempt to read, in its entirety, every single book for the past 12 years. After all, no matter how relaxed a book club may be, without people actually reading the book, there is no point, right?

Yes, I agree that there is such a thing as reading for pure pleasure and escape. And I agree that everyone tastes are different. But I think we can all agree that there are times when a book really should not have ever made it past the transom to begin with, let alone reach a shelf.

What do you do in this situation? And do you own up to the fact that the book was simplistic, ridiculous, poorly-written and sappy?

PAM

Comments (14)