SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yuag

Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance

yuag
9 years ago

For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last year I hired a service to do the mowing and maintenance. They offer the services below, that when totaled are close to $1000. I'm wondering if my lawn is in good shape, how much of the below really needs to be done and/or could I handle myself?

Services offered: De-thatching, crabgrass control (multiple rounds), broadleef weed control (multiple rounds), sub surface insect control, surface insect control, aeration, lime

Follow up question: My lawn is average - having said that I'd like to enhance it if possible. The grass is nice, but I'd like to clean up bare patches I see and try and make it 'fuller'. I also have some grassy areas that look like they contain sand, and others that appear to be covered with small rocks (I am assuming the soil underneath is rocky). I was contemplating buying bags of the Scott 4-Step and was wondering what people thought of that - or if there is a different approach I should take. (IE with the sand/rock areas).

(Final note: Lawn care is completely new to me so if there are books/reading material that are good for beginners or good for what I have in mind please feel free to pass recommend.)

Comments (8)