SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laticauda

grafted Adenium pruning and potting advice (n00b here)

laticauda
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm just going to hopefully post pictures and it hopefully works lol.

I repotted it yesterday because it was in a massively tall uh..bbucket. lol.

Okay, so when I reported it, I raised the cause a little bit. But now I'm wondering if I can like....tilt the plant and prune it right now, before the roots get too big and rowdy for me to turn this guy on its side the way I wanna.

It's been living inside while I watch it and it hasn't dropped too many leaves and all the thick round stuff at the top is since I've brought it home about....a little over a month ago, I think?

Also, any other advice? I have grown succulents and have just been watching and *listening* to the plant, but I feel like I'm running out of time to do this stuff before winter and I have to bring it in!

edit: I also didn't spread the roots out horizontally, so I'm probably going to have to repot it again as per someone here's advice?

Comments (69)

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm just not sure if now is a good time for pruning and/or defoliation.

I think defoliation, then prune back this late winter/early spring?

I really wanna cut those long limbs down though, so it's a tough decision not knowing these plants well enough. Right now it's just sitting outside on my porch, getting used to being outside then it'll move to just get morning sun then evening sun...and then full sun, they like that, don't they?

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    8 years ago

I read about that it is best to do the prune a plant around Father's Day. Might not apply to adeniums though. My thought was it experiences a lot already, repotting and environment changing. That's why I did not do anything except the repotting. Mine drops leaves now and then, so I think just let it does its thing, builds, strength and prepares for the winter. I bought it without any buds, so I think it is pretty happy for flowering. But I am new to adeniums so maybe I am just lucky?:)

• Related Discussions

Adenium hard prune for 2013

Q

Comments (16)
    My Goodness! I think I may be suffering from DR envy! What a beautiful amount of DRs you have! I only learned about DRs last summer, and bought one to give to a friend for part of her birthday gift (June Birthday - and she has a deck that gets lots of full sun so she could appreciate blooms all summer long) - and by the end of the summer, I finally decided it was time to get one for me. So, I found one in october that wasn't in flower - and, brought it home ... and soon after it went into dormancy. This past month, her leaves have all come back and I hope to know what color flowers she'll have. I'm not expecting much since she was a Home-Depot find. Pink? Red? ... It'll be a joy to see, whatever the color. And, a week ago, I got my second DR from Logee's. And was surprised that the leaves looked quite different from the Home Depot ones that my friend and I have. the leaves look long and almost evergreenish. I never realized that there would be a variety in leaf type in this type of plant. So, now I'm stuck in a bit of a quandry. (it's in a small 4" pot) - should I be transplanting it now? or waiting? It doesn't seem to be bouncing back very quickly from the shipping process. The leaves still seem a bit dry and warped (as of this morning, two weeks later) - Maybe she's not getting enough sun still? I'm in New England, and until I can get some of my potted plants outside (need to wait another month) - I'm a bit space challenged for spots in the south windows. Anyway, I'm envious of all the great Adeniums your showing here. I may be visiting a bit in effort to figure out what I should be doing with mine since this will be my first growing season (watching 2 coming out of dormancy). I'm impressed by some of the babies posted on this website. How do I get mine to seed so I can try planting my own? :)
    ...See More

Adenium/Desert Rose repotting & pruning HELP

Q

Comments (4)
    Any good draining mix will be fine. There are about as many good homemade mixes out there as there are succulent growers. Turface MVP is what I add to mine. If you can wet your mix thoroughly, squeeze it in your hand, and it falls apart, that's good draining. I wouldn't repot until the plant can be moved outdoors and take advantage of the warm outdoor temps and a good light source. I prefer to prune Adeniums in late spring early summer when temps are high and there is little chance of rain. A nice healthy Adenium can handle repot, root and top pruning at the same time during the summer. It's really too early to do anything with them right now in my opinion. randy
    ...See More

Please Post pictures of our "ADENIUM KO" seeds here, for comparisons

Q

Comments (58)
    Mr.KO adenium seeds review. I ordered 32 different kind of Adenium seeds from Mr.KO. The seeds arrived a month after, it is OK. Most of the seeds were very small, some of the has only husk. Soaked them right away on 28 C. After few ours rinsed them and put them on moist (not wet) non treated paper towel on 30 C. To cut a long story short, after 14 days the results was devastating! Only 38 seeds of 480 germinated! Note: I saw, raise and form Adeniums for over 14 years, right now I have over 2000 from age 1 to 14 years old, on special setups for overwintering. So can say I have some experience. Wrote a mail to MrKO about the results, with pics and a precise number of germinated seeds by species. After 10 days, no answer, no any sign of respecting their own policy about low germination resending. As far as I concern, I am very unsatisfied with Ko Adenium, and their way of doing business. I do NOT recommend their seeds and trading with them at all!
    ...See More

Potted Orange Tree - Pruning Advice

Q

Comments (11)
    Yes, I think you just have a vigorous water sprout - which is scion and not rootstock, from what I can see. This is normal for citrus. It will eventually bear fruit. You can just cut it back to just below the lower 'bush' height it you wish. It should then branch out more densely. These are trees, after all! Looks like a very healthy plant.
    ...See More
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the difference in pruning time may be agricultural zone. Maybe that author lived far north and had short summers?

Also is it really better to prune just before new growth or just as you see new growth appear, let the plant *tell* you?

Oh, I watered it yesterday really well, the soil was still dark from moisture today so figured it's in a good size set up and I won't have to water every day. I don't know,aybe once the roots get establisted. I also mounded chick and chicken grit around the base to try to convince this root I see on the side of the caudex (not "cause" tyvm mr. Auto-correct) to continue to grow down into the substrate so it can have a cool root like that, that will swell with time, right?

It only lost one leaf and the plant is back protected by the house from the sun now. I think we had a good second day.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Pink is not a bad color. We here so much about "Pink" as it was a bad word. It is the case for someone that is starting hundreds, upon thousands of seedlings to produce different blooms.. For most of us hobby growers, Pink can be great.

As with many different genus of plants there are particular cultivars that are better root stock material. With Adeniums, it could be that they are grafting onto root stock that already has a good looking caudex (fat) and most of these are for commercial sales, so they need to give the customers what they most seek in Adeniums. A nice structured caudex.

Pruning of Adeniums is best done once they are coming into full growth or are in it. Many growers will do a second pruning after a bloom cycle in order to push a new flush of inflorescence. . Pruning is best not done when dormant or inactive growth. It has been done, but not the best time.

Rick

laticauda thanked rcharles_gw (Canada)
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rick,

I actually really like the pinks. I saw one yesterday that was mostly white (or a VERY light pink) with pink edges around the petals. It was the most beautiful I think I've seen. Admittedly, I've not seen many in person.

I guess a lot like a cherry blossom. But it's been a long time since I've seen a cherry blossom. I miss Appalachia.

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I've decided to give it a trim. Would gorilla glue work to seal the wounds?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Laticauda,

I missed this post of your plant.

I would give it a trim and not too late in the year, that you could still get blooms from it. Find a lot of mine push buds just as new growth commences.

I am not sure about using Gorilla glue for cut ends. I use the Elmer's Waterproof Wood glue. Would hate to say go ahead to you with out knowing.. I never used to use glue, but I do like the results.

Your plant has such a nice bulbous caudex. Nice set of four main branches too. Good start to a nice shape.

Rick

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rcharles (or anyone else who can answer, please)

How far can I cut it back? The old growth looks a bit etoliated, perhaps?

Should I try rooting the branches I cut?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

If it was mine. I would make the prune above the beige marks you see in first photo. Also looks to be a grafted plant (cleft graft). The middle branch pruned slightly higher than the outside three.

The growth does look to be a bit etiolated by the distance between the internodes.

You definitely could try rooting the branches. I cannot give you confirmed information, as I have not done any.

Definitely a nice specimen.

Rick

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, I cut it. Way back. There were two new branches starting but I left them (wasn't sure if I should, but if they'll get thick too, I'd like to have a tree with different sized branches). Should I cut them off?

Anyway, pictures.

My glue was all dried up so I put cinnamon (organic, which means Chinese probably) on it and then took a cotton swab and stirred the gloppy glue and tried to apply it. It wound up being this really neat, stay-put (hopefully) seal you've always dreamed of.

Anyway, not sure if you can see, but two of those four branches actually came from one original branch that had been cut back twice before it finally branched that way. I don't know if that matters.

On one of the outside branches, I also cut off the old scar. Not sure if I was supposed to do that, probably not, but it seemed like the way to do that piece.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

You did a very good job with pruning. Looking forward to seeing it's progress.

I am not sure of your set-up or growing area, but if you have it in a place where it only receives light from 180degrees. I find that if I rotate the plant 180 degrees every few days, then I get more even branching all the way around. I do not do this when outside and getting sunlight from all around.

Just a thought.

Rick

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Right now it's under an awning (it had been outside under said awning for about three days before I did the cutting), and one of the branches felt more bendy than I thought normal, so I may have watered too soon after having repotted it. I'm leaving it outside and if it rains, I should bring it under cover at the current moment, right?....since I'm dealing with the possible too-early-watering-after-repotting debacle.

Should I have kept it inside to let the glue dry?

Ultimately, I plan on having it smack dab in my south lawn. Lots of sun except for maybe early morning and late evening. Should I do that transition while it's recovering from pruning?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

I water many of mine in right after repotting. If I get a new grafted or seed grown plan that has been stripped of leaves and fine roots, then I usually leave it for about 4-5 days before watering it in.

I like mine where they do not receive any rain. This way, I manage what they receive in the way of water and fertilizer. So, in answer to your question. Yes, I would keep it out of the rain.

I wouldn't think that it would matter with the glue.

Keep it in filtered sunlight for 5 days or so, then move it where you want it to be. Now, with it having no leaves. The new leaves will be conditioned to the sunlight as they immerge. If plant has not been in full sunlight, just watch that the caudex does not get burnt. Does not look as though you have raised it exposing caudex which was under soil.

You can just prop something up in front of the pot where the hottest days sun will be on the caudex to protect. Just to shade it. Don't lay it against the caudex. Gradually reduce hours of coverage.

Rick

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I originally raised it up but filled in the rest of the way with grit hoping that a root I saw starting to form will continue down and get thicker with age. That's how it works right? That would be one very high up root.

Is it okay I left those tiny new branches on there with the new leaves. I believe those have formed since I brought it home and have had it under lights.

Sun really is best but....stuff happens and that's that. So, didn't have the time til now :) appreciate the help!

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    8 years ago

I like what you have done with your adeniums. Especially leaving the new growth, so that these leaves will continue to make food for the plant. If later you do not like these two new branches, you can cut them again while other branches have leaves growing. Just a thought.

i also read that treat the adeniums like tropical in warm season but treat them like cactus when they dormant.

Here is one of the links talking about its care:

http://adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

laticauda thanked Rockdale (RI Z6)
  • Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    8 years ago

Rockdale.. I think your tree is beautiful. This tree of mine is also a common pink.. Lots to be said about beautiful common pinks. ;-). Enjoy.,. It's a great looking tree!!

laura

laticauda thanked Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Kadie
    8 years ago

Hi Laura,

Great to hear from you! Every time I give advice about using the Elmer's waterproof glue I think about you, as Rick had said that he got this tip from you.

I am still so very appreciative of your response to the query I made on another post not too long ago about gritty mix. No, I haven't switched to gritty mix yet. But eventually, when I have chosen the ones I want to keep, I will switch them to a gritty bonsai media.

-Kadie

laticauda thanked Kadie
  • laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the great advice everyone! It didn't really have much fine root to speak of. It looked like it was maybe just transplanted into that pot and sent to Walmart without much root development there.

I'm glad I used a Terra cotta pot, it'll dry out faster.

Laura, I don't live in HR anymore. I'm in Oklahoma, our sun can be serious sometimes! My Pachypodium lamerei likes it though so I think the Adenium will like it too. I just gotta make sure they have water when we get triple digits and no rain. After living in Virginia....it seems like it never rains here in Oklahoma. But we've had extra this year for which I am thankful for....as are my tomatoes.

8 years ago

Hi Kadie!!

You are so kind.. Thank you!! It's nice to come visit this forum and to see you all... :-)

im just smiling thinking of your comment. You are giving great advise and I'm pleased to see Rick giving his as well. You guys are great experienced growers and really do a great job!

i have to chuckle about the waterproof wood glue.. I learned this from my friend Al.. Just shared what works for me.. It's used a lot with Bonsai and other woody trees that are pruned. I even use it on my Plumeria when I prune. It works great !!

You are so welcome with the advise that I gave to you!! Anytime .. I'm glad to help you and anyone that needs it.....If I can !!! ;-)

Always happy to hear from you...

Have a great night!!!

laura

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the wounds look good, I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow, it's so hot lol.

8 years ago

Hi Laticauda..

We are having heat like you.. It's been really hot hitting the triples digits too. Then Add the humidity.. OMG!! It was at 80 percent last week.. Ugh !!

You did fine with what you did on your tree.,. I also like Terra Cotta as well.. Especially on Adeniums.

Lol. My Pachy Lamerie finally bloomed this summer after three years. I thought it wasn't ever going to bloom.. Lol.

Awww. I thought you were still here in HR.. Im Sure you enjoy living in OK?

i have several friends who grow Plumeria and Adeniums there and they do great.. Yours will love it too!! I have no doubt you will have a nice fully leafed out head in no time..

please keep us posted on your new beauty.. My " Buddah " came from Lowes.. So you never know what you will find.. " like a box of chocolates.."

Out of all my named varieties.. This no named tree ( NOID)

is my favorite. I love it so much..

Here is a pic of my new stand in my back yard.. The bottom level is for adeniums.. This is also used for the new little Plumeria!

you have my email.. If you ever need me.. Just give me a shout! We have to take care of any "757". ;-)

take care,

Laura

Laura

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Laura,

Thank you for sharing these pics. I wouldn't mind swimming across your pool to visit your gorgeous display of adeniums and young plumeria (in heat of summer of course).

I lived in Lawton, OK for 3-1/2 years. The climate there is awesome: Lots of snow in the winter, golf ball-size hail in the spring, heat and humidity in the summer (and chigger hitchhikers from the community pool). Great fishing spots in the lakes, and horse flies that will grab your attention at a picnic. Received my B.A. from Cameron University there... so all worth it.

-Kadie

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You can still call me local, actually. I kept it. I lived there when it was still 804! It changed shortly after we moved there.

I just have to keep myself occupied with other things...leave the Adenium alone. You just gotta let it do what it wants.

P.s. I really like the branch that's right near the graft line. Do you think I should cut it off? I kind of like it. Gives a good spread point for different branching options, unless it could cause a problem with the joint? Is that what it's called? That can't be right.

• Kadie
    8 years ago

You keep saying you like the branch where it is...so keep it! I don't know what you mean about branching options. Remember...you have entered into the realm of adeniums.

If this were my "tree" I would rub it off to allow the upper-most branches to grow strong. To me, this is a "sucker."

8 years ago

Always local.. I hear you!! I do remember " 804". Lol.. I was born and raised in VB!!

You can watch the Adenium and make sure it's happy, but I wouldn't move it around to catch the sun.. Let it stay in one place after you acclimate it to full sun. Then rotate it like Rick mentioned. :). Do like I do.. Go look and keep your hands behind your back.. I'm known for going and checking on all of my plants nightly.. Even with a spotlight.. Shhhh, our secret!! I look at them at least twice a day.,. But keep my hands from messing with them. Unless it's to clean up or tend to their needs, You will be fine..

i would leave that branch by the graft line. It's still branching from the scion, so I would definitely leave it. It will be a great place to have options.. Better to wait to see what it will do instead of taking it off and wondering. I would leave it... I like it too!!

Take care,

laura

8 years ago

Lol.. You see. Everyone has a different view.. It's what pleases you! It's your tree so you make the decisions.. Kadie would cut.. I would leave.. One persons advise is purely from their own taste. I think it's my Bonsai eye coming out.. I think it could be an interesting look.. That's just me.

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Oh dear! I just gave a different advice from Laura. So I will go with Laura's advice.

laticauda thanked Kadie
    8 years ago

Kadie.. If you are ever in my neck of the woods. You are most welcome to swim anytime!!

Sounds like you are a true " Okie". Had to laugh at the descriptions. To funny, but true! You get it all.. And then some! Yikes.. You are making me itch !

Thanks Kadie..

Laura

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Laura, heck no. Not an "Okie," only described what it was like to live there for 3-1/2 years. Loved Palm Springs, CA where I lived for 10 years after OK. Glad to be back home, though, even with mosquitos, tropical storms, and other natural stuff.

-Kadie

laticauda thanked Kadie
    8 years ago

Lol. You are making smile as I head to bed...

You are always so cute!!!

i see you are in the M islands ( Guam). Ohhhh. How awesome!! SWEET

you must love it there!!! Lucky lady!!!

Laura

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    8 years ago

Thanks for the picture journal of your adeniums. Laura. It is such a beauty and OLD. Now I know what I should expect if I can keep mine alive. I have to smile when I see you call it Buddha, cause my first thought when I saw it was 'hey look there is a buddha's belly' LOL.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Laura, You are such a wonderful person. I miss you on the site. I appreciate all the help and friendship that you have shown myself and everyone here.

VB keeps calling me when you show your beautiful deck/patio. Your new flagstone patio is so impressive. Then, with all of you special plants and gorgeous Plumerias, is just breathtaking. Enough of my rambling.

Glad to see you jumped in and gave some assistance. I know that it is well received and appreciated.

Take care and keep well,

Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    8 years ago

Somehow I missed this thread. But seems great advice and results have been given and acquired all around. This may be a bit late to say this but I have managed to root several cuttings. While they won't really get a caudex they can get an interesting root structure. The main reason I have rooted my cuttings are to keep them going until I can get more root stock to graft them onto.

Kirk

laticauda thanked kodom087 z9a
  • Marie Tran
    8 years ago

Laura, let set up a date for us to come and visit you in VB,

Your lovely pool, deck and collection of DR look impressive.

By the way, do you have name for the burgundy DR? It is beautiful color.

Marie

8 years ago

Hi Rockdale.. Thank you.. :-)

I always have called it Buddah when I started to see the Belly form on this one.. It is a crazy looking tree ! Lol....

Hi Rick.

i just can't thank you for your kindness. Seriously humbled. ( shaking my head because it's hard to accept.. ). But all I can say is Mahalo, my friend...

i miss you guys too! I'll make it more of a practice to come over and say hello to you all..

If you ever get out to Virginia.. Please let me know! You are more than welcome to visit the gardens !!

HI KIRK!! Lol.. Always seeing you around.. How is that Celadine doing?

You always have a great idea about the cuttings .. Maybe a multi grafted tree? You are the man to do this.. :-)

Hi Marie.. Just love seeing you too! You can come and visit anytime as well.. I would be honored to have you come and visit my yard and trees.

That Adenium Is labeled " Purple #8". I think it came from Chris at Durham Botanicals.. . it is really pushing some blooms this season.

So nice to see you guys! You all just made my night!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Laura

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Hey Laura,

Purple No. 8 Symphony. Gorgeous and loaded!

-Kadie

8 years ago

Thank you Kadie. I received this from a friend who lives in Melbourne. ;-) this was my birthday gift last year. He is so kind. It's about two to three years old..

purple #8 symphony.. Yea.!! Thanks for the full name!! I love it

thank you..

laura

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So you guys haven't seen each other for a while? That warms my heart that I was able to be a part of it. Lots of blessings to encounter such a blessed occasion as seeing an old friend (s).

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Laura,

♫Happy Birthday to you...♫

-Kadie

8 years ago

Laticauda..

You certainly have brought me back over to the Adenium forum that I have missed for a long time. Seeing my old friends has touched my heart and it is because you found me on another forum to ask me a question in which it directed me here.. So yes, you did warm my heart seeing all of my friends from many years of being here! I'm still around many forums and Im Mostly on the Plumeria Forum but I will pop over here to see you guys more often!!

So thank you for your thread and your questions. !!

Kadie. Lol. Mahalo!!! :-)

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Oh, how I wish I had the space for more of these Laura. Òno. Without being sentimental. Your Plumerias always just melt me. I just love them. I know, I am being maybe a bit much, but it is just the way it is.

Thank so much for showing your trees and their impeccable blooms. Made my day.

Mahalo nui loa,

Rick

8 years ago

You know I love them too, Rick..

I am so addicted.. But you already know.. Lol.

Im glad to share these beauties with you!!

Always a pleasure... ;-)

laura

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here it is. I guess it got a bit too warm for it outside and it lost some of its leaves, but that's okay. One green leaf still attached? It can't be that angry at me lol right?

I like how the glue dried the nubs. It doesn't look all desiccated and sickly like the other, older cuts.

Having these two new growths, will it prevent the other branches from resprouting? Hormones and all that?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Laticauda,. It is coming around so well and the lose of leaves would probably be expected. Nice to the nice new internodes pushing out new growth.

Having the two new growths, should not impede other branches forming. I like to rotate every other day if I have mine in an area where it is not receiving sunlight from 360 degrees. This way it will at least help with branches forming all the way around.

Rick

8 years ago

Looking awesome !!!

laura

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    8 years ago

Laura,

Good to see you posting here again, and thanks for sharing pics of Buddha again.

Lonnie

laticauda thanked printmaster1 (DFW TX)
  • kodom087 z9a
    8 years ago

Looks like the pruning has helped it out a lot. Looks like a lot of branching is happening now.

Laura, the Celadine is doing great! I just need to get a pot for it. Just been busy wish friends and out of country friends that have been in for a visit.

Kirk

laticauda thanked kodom087 z9a
    8 years ago

HI Lonnie!! So nice to see you as well. Mahalo, my friend!!!

I think I see you on FB but not sure if its really you!!! So glad you like the " Buddha ". Lol..

Kirk.. Sounds great!!

Laura

• laticauda
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll try to remember to go out there every other night to spin it around lol