SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rc_roses

Al's - Question - Straw

8 years ago

Hi all :)

So I posted my first question over in Florida section, and was sent over here to have a look at Al's mix. I've searched high, and low, through many of the threads on Al's mix, but I haven't found the answer to my question. I don't mind sounding silly, so here goes....

Why can't I just use straw?

My original plan included straw (well, coarse long stem hay) in very large planters for my fall tomato crop. We've used hay in the past in double pots and it seems to drain pretty well (I haven't asked the tomatoes). I've heard much of the good aeration provided by straw bale gardening. Most of all, I have an endless source and I'd like to re-use it!

The planters will be made from pallets, so lots of slats providing air. After reading the wicking thread, I thought, if a toothpick works to wick moisture, then what about aligning the lowest layer of hay vertically, so it's a bunch of upright straws pulling water down. Wouldn't that help with the water level initial thing I was going to remember and sound clever in this thread with but have forgotten (ha!) ?

Don't doubt my hay, it's straw-like. The one thing I did see mentioned about straw use was high cellulose stealing nitrogen. I have a horse who poops everyday and only eats the aforementioned hay and alfalfa and grain-free supplements. Straight poo. So can't I make up for it with poo?

Thanks!

Rebecca *who dreams of a straw and poo garden* ;)

Comments (3)