SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Strange odor above fridge

writersblock (9b/10a)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A neighbor of mine who rents is in the process of moving to another unit in our townhouse development and I've been helping her.

Initially the place was nearly uninhabitable because of the combination of mold smell and the fact that the owners never met a stinky air freshener they didn't love. The owner had the mold remediated before she agreed to the lease and replaced the tile, carpet, and painted the whole place.

The mold part is okay now.

The problem is that despite all the replacing of surfaces and cleaning there's still a pretty strong air freshener scent that we can't seem to get rid of, and there's a bad odor above the fridge that we can't figure out.

You don't notice it when you're just walking around in the kitchen, but if you're up above the fridge, like when I was cleaning the over-fridge cabinet, it's pretty bad. Kind of a rotten smell. But the cabinets themselves don't smell--you can still smell this when you pull the fridge out away from the cabinets, but as I say, only if you get up higher than the top of the fridge and toward the back of it where it vents out the warm air.

It's not a model with a removable drip pan, which was my first guess, although it's fairly old. GE top freezer, but recent enough to have glass shelves and concealed coils.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

(And if anyone has any suggestions about how to get rid of the air freshener smell, those would be welcome, too.)

EDIT Forgot to say that the inside of the fridge smells fine.

Comments (11)