SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bette_gw

Help! Strange Odor in my Home

Bette
22 years ago

In December of last year, I started detecting a whiff of a strange odor in my living room. At first I dismissed it as being cat urine. I have since searched the entire living room. I have scanned the entire carpet, the furniture, drapes and have never been able to find the source. I have been in the crawl space above and the basement below and there is no odor. The odor is barely detectable when the house is closed up (this situation has improved especially since we have gotten new windows in that room), but when I open the windows in that very room the odor seems to immediately intensify and strengthen, yet I don't detect any odor coming in from outside. As crazy as it sounds, I have even considered our recently painted ceiling (it was painted in December by contractors) to be the source. When the house is opened up, I can really smell it on the ceiling. I have heard about paint offgassing and that it can be offensive and long lasting. I would imagine that if this was the case, the odor would be worse when the the house is closed up (no odor is detectable on the ceiling at that time). I am at a complete loss about what to do. The odor has not appeared to have gotten worse nor better since December. It does appear stronger during the day however.And I can now tell you that it is definitely not cat urine!

An indoor air quality consultant has come in and suggested the source may possibly be sewer gas. We are in the process of trying to locate a plumber to come in and check this out. In the meantime, I would appreciate any input anybody could give me.

Comments (18)